[blparent] Teaching your children to read and write from a blind this perspective

Jo Elizabeth Pinto jopinto at msn.com
Wed Jan 25 04:23:28 UTC 2017

There are many, many toys that feature print numbers and uppercase and lowercase letters.  Some that worked well for my daughter and me were wooden puzzles that featured the letters of the alphabet with slots on a board to fit each letter, and pictures in the slots of items that began with that letter, flashcards with simple addition and subtraction facts or spelling words in both print and braille and pictures on them, and talking toys with raised letters.  Some of the best talking toys are refrigerator magnet letters with different bases that allow your child to hear letter sounds and, later, build words and learn to spell.  I believe you can find them by looking up Fridge Phonics on Amazon.

Jo Elizabeth Pinto

"The Bright Side of Darkness"
Is my award-winning novel,
Available in Kindle, audio, and paperback formats.
http://www.amazon.com/author/jepinto