[blparent] Teaching a Sighted Child to Ride a Bike

Nancy VanderBrink nvanderbrink at icloud.com
Sun Jun 4 08:28:05 UTC 2017

You know, my dad taught me how to balance in a similar way.  We used the back steps off of our deck and we did it in our backyard so that if I fell I would not get hurt. We did just like you did we had the bike parallel to the step and used it to push off and also hold myself up until I could get enough momentum to carry it along myself. The nice thing was that I could always stick my foot up and catch myself if I felt like I was going to fall so I wasn't so afraid. Something that my dad did that kind of scared me at the time but might have been helpful was he stood in front of me and held the handlebars and tipped the bike to the right into the left until I figured out how far over I would lean until I can stick my foot up and catch myself. I don't know if that would help or not but it helped me a lot because I did not have vision and still don't on my right side and I have always had a very strong fear of falling so it was actually helpful to me.

Please forgive the typos as this message was most likely generated using voice dictation
Nancy Irwin
nvanderbrink at icloud.com
KN4DBQ