[blparent] Teaching a Sighted Child to Ride a Bike

Michael Baldwin mbaldwin at gpcom.net
Tue May 30 13:04:39 UTC 2017

Taught the first child , the second did it on her own one day out of no
where, and working on the third this summer. DD1 Was 9 when she finally got
it, and dd2 was a few days shy of her 7th birthday, dd3 is 7 next month, I
am not worried about ds1, he just turned 3.
 Did the standard run behind and an extra push off when I let go. With dd1
and dd3 it seems the issue is that they wanted to watch the handle bars, and
they would start turning them back and forth to help maintain balance, and
that doesn't work.
We also went to a public place with a long, slight grassy decline, and dd1
could coast her bike down the hill holding her feet up and work on balance
without peddling. They built a new school building there so I can not do
that with dd3.
It is also easier to learn on a larger bike. The larger the tire, the more
centrifugal force that is created to help maintain balance. Of course don't
want it too big for the child either. IMO 18-20 are best, 16 will work if
child is short, and 12 don't even bother with.
I also put the training wheels up as high as they will go. The extra lean
makes them think they are falling, and they try to get away from that and
lean the other way. Has not completely worked for any of mine, but
eventually I guess one would learn to find center and balance there. I think
it helps.
I also offer the added benefit of a new bike when they learn without
training wheels.

Good luck.
Michael