[blparent] Kids losing your things for you

Tara Briggs thflute at gmail.com
Wed Nov 29 10:07:04 UTC 2017

Dear fellow parents! I have come across a major problem and I don’t know. My oldest is three and she is the sweetest most adorable and kindest kid! One of things I love about her if she is so cute and generous with a one-year-old sister. There is one thing that she does that is driving me up the wall and I don’t know how to deal with it. She could send my things and loses them. The most recent example of this which is still a problem, and she took my purse off my bed got into it and know my state ID and key card to my condo clubhouse is missing. I hope and assume they are somewhere in my home. But as you all know, one of the problems with missing things as a blind person is if it’s not under your hand you don’t know where it is. What do I do about this problem? I have tried childproof locks on things and that is helpful to a certain extent. I have also tried talking to about it to her and telling her what her problem is. But when you’re three don’t always grasp long-term consequences and cause-and-effect. For example, I am hosting my family‘s parties for Christmas this Sunday at my clubhouse. If I had discovered this missing key card next Sunday afternoon would’ve been a huge problem. Fortunately, I have a friend in our complex and she’s going to lend me her club card. I really need to find a way to get a handle on this problem because is driving me up the wall! Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. There are some things in my life but Maria has just learned from an early age because I’ve been really firm about it that she doesn’t get to play with. For example she doesn’t play with my braille note or victor stream. And I think she realized after dropping my iPhone in the bathtub that’s off-limits to. But I can’t do it for everything in my life! I have told her over and over again that I need her to ask. And there are some things in my life I let her play with and enjoy and other things the answer is no OK, I think I’m starting to ramble. Hopefully you all get the point and some advice or commiseration would be more than welcome! When you guys had three-year-olds did they do this kind of thing? Kids really are amazing! She’s got plenty of toys! But apparently as human beings from an early age we love the charm of the off-limits.
Tara

Sent from my iPhone