[blparent] Dispensing medication

Miriam Feiner mdffeiner at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 20:19:09 UTC 2018

Hi, there are a few ways that we dispense medication
1. For liquid medications you can have a sighted person etch groove into the plunger part of a syringe at varying points
For example: 1/2  teaspoon 1 teaspoon etc.
 while pulling out the plunger you can feel by the groove how much medication is inside
2. As soon as baby is able to chew we give melt in the mouth medication Tylenol and Motrin come in this format just make sure that baby does not spit out the chewable pill
3. is always important for a sighted person to read label of specific package of medication since different tablets have different amount of medication
4. We also label bottles of medication with braille or put some sort of symbol such as one piece of tape or two pieces of tape to know which medication is which
5. One trick I've learned is for conjunctivitis, pinkeye they usually prescribed drops  which is hard to put in babies eyes
 there's also an an ointment that goes between Corner of eyeand top of nose that is much easier to apply you can ask the doctor for this instead and ask them to show you where to apply the ointment