[blparent] Saving for your kids college

Jo Elizabeth Pinto jopinto at msn.com
Mon May 7 21:02:45 UTC 2018

Keep in mind that a college savings plan may not have the growth rates you want in an investment. I got one for my daughter years ago with her dad, which we could do because I have SSDI rather than SSI and because our daughter gets a Social Security benefit of her own, at least ten percent of which needs to be accounted for as having been invested in her future each month. But the chief reason we got one--the fact that money cannot be taken out of it for other uses till our daughter turns eighteen without serious financial penalties--may be a drawback rather than an asset for other people. It's an asset for me because frankly, her father is a spender and not a saver, and I wanted the money to be placed in the college plan and left there, without fail, not taken out later for other uses. If the money had been put in other, more lucrative investments, it could have been taken out and used for other purposes. Still, the costs of college are growing much more quickly than the interest on the money in the plan is, and I'm not sure there will be nearly enough to cover what is needed by the time my daughter comes of age. The money can be used for other purposes, by the way, once a minor child turns eighteen. It's still best to speak to a financial planner regarding the specifics, but I did have those questions about the plan.

Jo Elizabeth Pinto

“The Bright Side of Darkness”
Is my award-winning novel,
Available in Kindle, audio, and paperback formats.
http://www.amazon.com/author/jepinto