[blparent] Where to get children's books

Star Gazer pickrellrebecca at gmail.com
Wed Oct 3 21:47:02 UTC 2018

			Amanda, you are on the right track.
I would suggest that when they say "kids learn better when a parent reads to
them" they mean that you spend time engaging with your child with a book. I
read Braille and wish everything was in Braille. I also had kids that were
hug monsters when they were babies. They wanted to be in my arms all the
time. Audio books were great during this time. The neat thing about babies
is you can read or listen to anything with them, all they care about is
being with you and hearing words you may not normally use, and no I don't
mean bad language.
When my youngest was a tiny baby, we listened to The Boys In The Boat. It
wasn't in Braille, my husband read the book and highly recommended it to me
and he was right.
As your kids get older you will probably find books they care about that are
not in Braille. A fun one last summer was called Neighborhood Sharks, we
listened to that before going swimming, then I had way too much fun scaring
my kids by yelling "Shark!"
Another one my preschooler loves is How To Be An Elephant which talks about
how elephants learn and grow. The print version of the book has real nice
pictures so she likes to look at it and we listen to the audio.
I say all this so you don't get stuck on one method of doing things. I know
that for me I was surprised at how much my babies wanted to be held, to the
point that they were not happy if I put them down and read to them. They
were very happy having me hold them and have (BARD at this point) read to us
both. Also, you want to be open to other ideas when your kids find their own
interests. That happens earlier then you might expect too.