[blparent] NFB Blind Parents Group November Conference Call

Stacy Cervenka slcervenka at gmail.com
Mon Oct 8 18:41:04 UTC 2018

November Conference Call For Blind Parents with Sighted Spouses: The NFB Blind Parents Group is hosting a conference call on Monday, November 5 at 9:00 PM Eastern, 8:00 Central, 7:00 Mountain, and 6:00 Pacific Time. This month, we will be discussing issues faced by families with one blind parent and one sighted parent. Being a blind parent alongside a sighted partner presents both opportunities and challenges. Does everyone assume that your sighted spouse does all the work in your home and with your children? Do you face negative attitudes or misconceptions about your blindness from your significant other’s family or friends? No matter how hard they try, do you sometimes feel that your sighted partner doesn’t completely understand how all the microaggressions you face as a blind parent take a toll on you? We want to hear about it, support you, and help you develop strategies for handling these unique situations. This call will be open to the first ten blind parents who register. Please note that, due to the lack of opportunities blind parents have to share freely with peers, this call is only for the blind parent in the family.

Discussion will be led by three blind parents who have sighted spouses. Terri Rupp and her husband Aaron are raising two children in Nevada. Priscilla Yeung and her husband Enoch are raising two children in California. Jessica Kostiw Reed and her husband Jonathan are raising two children in Virginia.
Call participants will have the opportunity to share experiences, find support, and discuss strategies for handling various situations unique to blind people who are parenting alongside a sighted partner.

Other than the three discussion leaders, this call will be limited to ten participants. You can sign up by emailing me directly at stacy.cervenka at gmail.com with “Blind Parents Call” as the subject line. Please let me know the ages of your children and any questions you would like to be sure are addressed. Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone