[blparent] Stroller and guide dog

Melissa Ann Riccobono melissaariccobono at gmail.com
Mon Feb 25 21:31:56 UTC 2019

Hello, and congratulations on your new baby! I am a mom of three, also with
light perception only, and I used both a stroller and a wagon with my
children while also using my guide dog. The biggest things are to get things
are to make sure your dog is used to the stroller. Let him or her sniff it.
Then, practice with your dog by pulling the stroller behind you while you
work in familiar areas. You may want to put something into the stroller to
make it a little heavier, the way it will be when your baby is riding in the
stroller. You need to be comfortable pulling the stroller. It does take a
little time sometimes to adjust your gait to the stroller, to hold you arm
in just the right way so the stroller is being pulled steadily, etc. So,
actually, if you don't have a lot of experience pulling something behind you
while you walk, you might want to pull your stroller around your house by
yourself so you can get the hang of it. I pulled shopping carts often, so
pulling the stroller was possibly a little easier for me right off the bat
since I all ready had that experience.
You may need to help your dog adjust his or her pace in order to compensate
for the stroller. Generally, dogs can make these adjustments quite well.
I can't remember any other tips or tricks, but if you have other questions I
can answer, please send me an email off list at
MelissaARiccobono at gmail.com
Good luck!
Melissa