[blparent] Hello and Let's Get the Party Started

Lisamaria Martinez lisamaria0217 at gmail.com
Sat May 11 01:13:57 UTC 2019

Hello to All,

I am finally getting around to introducing myself. About two weeks
ago, President Riccobono asked if I would be the chairperson of the
Blind Parents group. I accepted his challenge ... and here I am ...

As many of you know, Stacy Cervenka has been chair of this lovely
group and she has done a most excellent job. Thanks to Stacy for all
of her hard work, loyalty, and amaizing ideas.

Who am I?
Some of you know me as LM. Please, feel free to call me LM, especially
if you feel that Lisamaria is too much to say.

I'm 38 and a blind mom of three sighted children. My kiddos are 8, 4,
and 2. My husband, kids, and I all live in the San Francisco Bay Area.
I recently left my job of 10 years to become a Confidence Coach and
Consultant for my own business Be Confident Be You Coaching LLC.

I've been a member of the NFB since childhood. One can say NFB has
been my family for over three decades now. I'm the secretary of the
Sports and Recreation division and I'm a member of various divisions
including Krafters Korner.

I love to read. In fact, last summer I read over 18,000 pages for a
summer reading league. I kicked everyone's butt. LOL.

I crochet, loom knit, dance, hike, do yoga, binge watch Netflix,
volunteer for various worthy causes, and read.

That's me in a nutshell.

If I were to be super honest, I'd say that I'm not the best at email,
especially email lists. However, I'll certainly do my very best to
read the emails on this list as much as possible. I'm a bit of a
lillennial so I spend my time on social media like my life depends on
it. So the reality is, you'll see me be more active on the Blind
Parents Connect Facebook page.

Did you know that we're on Facebook? If you didn't, consider joining
the lively conversation online.

I just wanted to take the time to introduce myself and get the party
started. In later emails, I'll be proposing ideas and asking for
volunteers to step up for a few potential jobs. I would love to see
this group do some cool things that haven't been done yet and I want
us to participate in ways we haven't participated in in the past. I
want to see this group be a resource and a strong force in the blind
parenting world. I want society to know that blind parents are parents
first and we have the right to parent. I need you to help make this a
reality.

If you have interest in stepping up and doing some work for the Blind
Parents Group, please contact me.

You may always reach me via email at lisamaria0217 at gmail.com. You can
always text me at 510-289-2577. I don't pick up unknown calls, so if
you do call please leave me a message so I know you aren't a spam
call. I tend to have a faster response via text and phone ... if you
haven't figured that out yet. *grin*

I am here for you as a resource and a source of support.

Most sincerely yours,
Lisamaria -- LM