[blParent] Attaching a bell to a crawling baby

Jo Elizabeth Pinto jopinto at msn.com
Thu Oct 31 18:25:49 UTC 2019

I taught my daughter from the time she could talk reliably that, especially outside the house, she absolutely had to answer me when I called her name. Otherwise, we'd quit whatever we were doing and go home or, if that wasn't possible, sit out the fun till we could leave. The lesson had stuck after we walked away from the park and the swimming pool once or twice.

Well, we had just moved to a new neighborhood the summer after her first grade year. I was barely familiar with our house and yard. She'd gotten too quiet while I was unpacking boxes in my kitchen, so I went outside and called for her. No answer. I called again, more loudly. No answer. Horrible possibilities burst into my mind in a nanosecond. I didn't know the street well, but it was much busier than the quiet condo complex we had left. Could my baby have been hit by a car? Could she have been snatched by some drifter from 7-Eleven or Taco Bell at the end of the block?

I yelled her name again, probably sounding like a total fruit loop in my panic.

"Mommy, I'm right here." her cherubic voice came from the edge of the front porch, about five feet away. "I just caught a cricket in my bug net. I couldn't answer you before or I would have scared him away. I'm going to name him Feisty."

Jo Elizabeth Pinto

Check out my author Web site at
http://www.brightsideauthor.com.