[blParent] Thumbsucking and how I stopped it

Tara Briggs thflute at gmail.com
Tue Jun 9 14:33:29 UTC 2020

Hey everybody I hope everyone is doing well in this rather challenging time of the world. A couple of months ago I wrote to the list asking for advice on how to help my child stop sucking her thumb. Her dentist was starting to get concerned. Anyway, I fixed it and it took less than a day. I thought I would share my solution just in case Someone on this list might find it helpful. On Amazon there is a product, I can’t remember the name but I can look it up if somebody’s interested, that you can put on your fingers or nails. The product has a very bitter taste. Actually, it taste like throw up. Anyway, we ordered this product and it came in a little bottle with a brush on it. My three-year-old  absolutely loves to have her nails painted. So we made a little ritual at her grandmothers. Her grandma painted her nails sparkly pink and then put the yucky stuff on top. We told my daughter that she shouldn’t suck her thumb because it would take the nail polish off.  all it took  was one suck with that nasty stuff on her nails and she  has sworn off sucking her thumb. As a matter  of fact, she asks to have the bitter stuff put on her fingers So she   will remember not to suck them.   I can tell she’s very proud of herself for breaking the habit. Hooray! Hopefully my dental bill will now be less as my daughter grows older.
Tara

Sent from my iPhone