[blParent] Tips for Self-Advocacy During Delivery

natalieccharbonneau at gmail.com natalieccharbonneau at gmail.com
Sat Oct 24 01:55:51 UTC 2020

Hello All:

I've been trying to mentally prepare for any assumptions/attitudinal
barriers I may encounter as a blind person during my pregnancy and
subsequent delivery. I've made it to week 35 and just had my first negative
encounter at my doctor's visit with one of the rotating OBs.

I feel pretty confident in my self-advocacy skills, but the experience has
me feeling a bit down and even more anxious about what I may  encounter
during labor and delivery. So I thought I'd ask if anyone has any
tips/advice on how to best prepare? I wrote out a "blind tips, open to
questions, let's work together" section in my birth plan and discussed my
concerns about being treated "just like any other first-time parent" with
both the maternity coordinator at the hospital and with my OB. I also plan
to tell my OB that if she isn't available for my delivery, I can't work with
the OB I had today (I'm hoping that's something I can do? There are three
other OBs in the practice).

Just hoping to find a way to prep/relieve some of my anxiety hopefully.

Thanks.

Natalie