[blParent] finding textbook resources

dawn stumpner dawn205120 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 2 19:42:00 UTC 2021

Hi
     I have once again run into difficulties finding material in
braille for what I would think would be a popular subject: a
Spanish textbook.  I have been teaching my teenage son Spanish,
and although I speak Spanish well, I am at a point where I feel
like a textbook with organized grammar points and vocabulary
topics would be very useful.  I contacted my NLS library, which
is currently in Utah, but they had only one textbook, which I
tried but which was more of a long list of grammatical features
than a set of lessons.  They did say that another textbook, also
decades old, might be available through inter-library loan, so I
thought that would be a good start and waited to receive it that
way.  When I hadn't heard anything for a couple of weeks, I asked
if I could contact the agency from which it was coming.  They
said library patrons could not do that, and that the NLS library
could, but that they'd prefer to wait a few more weeks before
contacting them and that it likely was not available and there
were no other titles.
     I asked them whether it might be possible to borrow books
through an inter-library loan or any other way from another
state's NLS library as I think some states such as California,
Texas, Arizona, etc.  which have many Spanish speakers would be a
good resource to find a textbook.  I also asked if there is a
repository somewhere that might have braille books that have been
produced for blind high school and college students and that can
lend them out or make them available somehow as it would seem odd
for such a valuable resource of books to just be destroyed or put
into indefinite storage.  They didn't respond to either of those
two questions in the email, but just responded that if I had the
title of a specific book, I could request it.
     I know there are some resources in recorded format, but I
need braille textbooks to see spelling, accents, etc.
     This is not the first time I have run into difficulty
finding braille books on seemingly popular topics such as workout
routines, health issues, popular fantasy authors, etc.  It's also
common that I ask two or three related questions and have all but
one question ignored.  I am always very polite in my requests,
but they don't even sign their names in their emails, so it's
hard to know from one time to the next if I'm even talking to the
same person.
     Does anyone know if there is a repository (or repositories)
of books high school and college students have had brailled and
then not taken afterward? What happens to them? Do you know if
you can borrow books from other states in or out of the NLS
system? Also, do you know if it is possible to request to belong
to a different NLS library? My recorded books come from
Milwaukee, and I used to get my braille books from Chicago, which
worked out very well as I am in Wisconsin.  Then several years
ago, I was switched to Utah for my braille books, which is much
farther away and has not been as pleasant of an experience.  Has
anyone else had these kinds of difficulties?
     I would appreciate any suggestions.
     Thanks a lot!
               Dawn Stumpner