[blParent] question for the group involving procare

Star Gazer pickrellrebecca at gmail.com
Fri Oct 22 17:05:14 UTC 2021

Hi everybody.
My kid’s preschool uses an app called procare to sign your kid in and to sign them out.
It doesn’t work with voiceover and when the preschool director called procare they said “We don’t do any kind of special voice or speech”. Boy was the director angry and with good reason.

It sounds like Procare is the app that the licensed preschools are using in Maryland, it wasn’t the director’s choice to use this app.

NFB has asked me to find out if any other blind parents are having issues with this app.

To people who wonder why this matters, the app is used by the health department to make sure the preschool is behaving itself in terms of health safety.
Our workaround is that my husband fills out a paper copy for the schools logs.  It’s viable but not ideal and as the preschool director pointed out “You (meaning me) can’t be the only mom who needs this app to work”.

So does anybody have any experience with this app, and if so what has that experience been? I’m trying to build a case to force these guys to make their app accessible, or maybe to find out how to effectively use the app with voiceover.
The app has a geofence so I have to use my Iphone, I can’t sign my kid in or out unless I’m at the school.

NFB says there is strength in numbers, so I’m hoping others have had issues with this app. If not, that doesn’t mean the issues don’t exist, some of you guys may prefer the hard copy solution, some of you may not have kids in preschool, I’m hoping I can get this fixed regardless of how many of us there out there.

Rebecca Pickrell

Sent from Mail for Windows