[blParent] Using cane / dog with stroller

Melissa Ann Riccobono melissaariccobono at gmail.com
Mon Oct 25 20:14:20 UTC 2021

Wow, such great resources! Thanks for putting this together! I'm glad to see the hiking carriers are still being made. We loved ours; this is the backpack with the metal frame another poster was talking about. I'm on the shorter side, so I had to fiddle with ours to get it to fit most comfortably, but it worked well and I was able to carry our oldest until about 35 pounds. I think the carrier itself could maybe hold up to 45 pounds, but I was just not that strong, and by the time my oldest was 35 pounds he wanted to walk, and we also had a wagon we could use for certain trips.
I also loved our wagon. Ours did not fold, which was a pain and limited its usefulness. I'm so glad they make different models now which fold.
We had two strollers, both from Graco. Our first one lasted through our first two kids, but by the time our third came along I think it had a problem with the handle which could not be fixed, so we needed a different one. I found both of ours easy to pull behind me, and the handle was slightly adjustable so although the height was not perfect, it was definitely good enough even for long distances. Definitely trying out strollers before you buy is key, and giving yourself time and patience to master the skill of pulling something behind you. Perhaps practicing with some bags of sugar or flour in the stroller so you have approximately the weight of the baby might be a good idea at first. Also remembering that you are not in a race. You can walk a little slower at first if needed in order to get used to how the stroller maneuvers. I became very comfortable using the stroller and did it a ton, but I do remember being cautious at first and having to remind myself that this was a skill like anything else and it would take practice.
We were very lucky to be able to have a variety of solutions we could use depending on the day, where we were going, the age of our kids, etc. Good luck. I hope you can find things that work well for you. Just know it is absolutely possible to pull a stroller or wagon when working a dog or using a cane. I've done both, along with tons of other blind parents before and after me.
Melissa