[Cabs-talk] fill out survey

dgoraya at ucla.edu dgoraya at ucla.edu
Mon Apr 20 20:24:25 UTC 2009

This message was sent to me on Facebook. Please take a look. The
deadline is today, but it's a short survey.

Deepa

Dear Members of The Blind Students in Kentucky Facebook Group,

We are three students currently enrolled in a masters program in
Library Science at Pratt Institute in NYC. This semester, we are
taking a class that focuses on the study of how people search for the
different types of information they need (academic assignments, work
info, personal info). For our final project, we are interested in
discovering how visually impaired college students search for the
information they need to satisfy their school assignments (papers,
quizzes, etc.).

We are posting to the California Association of Blind Students
Facebook group in the hope to connect with some visually impaired
college students. We need several volunteers to help us out by
completing a short 15-question survey. The survey will take no more
then half an hour to complete and will ask you questions about: how
you search for information for school, what types of information
sources your prefer (google vs. library), and what problems you may
have encountered while searching.

RAFFLE: As our way of saying thank you for participating in our
project, we will be entering everyone who completes a survey into a
raffle for a $20 gift certificate to either Amazon.com or the ITunes
store.

HOW TO RETURN THE QUESTIONNAIRE: Listed below please find the
questionnaire we would like you to complete. Option one: After
completing this survey, copy and paste the survey questions and your
answers into a Facebook e-mail and send it to Lisa O?Shaughnessy,
Julia Martin, and Polina Mitenko by April 20, 2009. Option two: Send
the completed survey to LisaOShaughnessy at aol.com,
JuliaWMartin at gmail.com, and pmitenko at pratt.edu by April 20, 2009 with
the subject: HOW DO YOU SEARCH FOR INFORMATION TO SATISFY YOUR SCHOOL
ASSIGNMENTS?

Participation in this survey is completely voluntary. By filling out
the survey you will be agreeing to participate within our project. All
results and names of participants will be kept completely confidential
and only viewed by the three of us conducting the survey. If at any
time after completing the questionnaire you wish to withdraw your
answers from our project please feel free to do so by sending one of
us an e-mail via our Facebook accounts.

Questionnaire:

1. Age: _________
Degree Pursued: choose one
(_)Associates (_)Bachelors (_)Masters
(_)Vocational (_)Certificate (_)Other:________________
Anticipated date of completion: _______

2. How would you define your level of computer technology skills?

__ Beginner (E-Mail and basic internet searching)
__ Intermediate (Working knowledge of MS Office, in-depth Internet
Searching, Facebook/Myspace user)
__ Advanced (Working knowledge of MS Office, in-depth online
searching, able to create HTML documents and publish them on the web)
__ Professional (I work as an IT professional/computer programmer or
other advanced technology position)

3. How often do you utilize the services provided by the Office of
Disability Services at your school? (Please mark one of the following)
__ Three or more times a semester
__ Once or twice a semester
__ Not as much as I'd like to
__ Never
__ I didn't know we had one
__ I don't find them to be helpful

4. When searching for information for a school assignment do you find it:

__ Easy (I can do it on my own)
__ Manageable (I am able to do it on my own with a little extra effort)
__ Difficult (I need help from another person or a lot of extra effort)
__ Impossibly frustrating (It takes so much effort and so much time
that it doesn't seem worth doing)

5. Where do you start searching when you are given a school
assignment? (Please mark one following)
__ Search Engine
__ Wikipedia
__ Online Database
__ Library
__ Library Catalog
__ It depends on the subject

6. Typically, which resource provides you with the best information?
__ Search Engine
__ Wikipedia
__ Online Database
__ Library
__ Library Catalog
__ It depends on the subject

7. Do you do research in your school?s library building?
__Yes
__ No

8. How often do you ask a librarian/staff member for help in finding
materials?
__ Every time
__ Only after I can?t find something
__ Only for in-depth research question
__ I don?t find librarian/staff helpful

9. Are there any services you would like your library to offer?

10. What search engine do you commonly use while searching the
Internet for information?
__ Google
__ Yahoo
__ Ask.com
__ Other please list

11. Do you encounter any issues when interacting with the your
school's library catalog?
__ Yes
__ No

If yes, please mark one or more of the following:
__ Not easy to navigate
__ Does not interact well with my assistive technology device
__ Not easy to locate the information I need
__ Other please explain

12. Do you use any technological aids when doing research for school?
__ Yes
__ No

13. If yes, what do you use: (Please mark one or more of the following)
__ Screen Magnifier Program
__ Screen Reader Program
__ Refreshable Braille Display
__ Closed Circuit TV
__ Other please list

14. Do you ever encounter any problems when your assistive technology
interacts with another resource? If yes, please explain:

15. Is there anything you'd like to tell us that we haven't asked, or
if you would like to expand on any of your answers, please do so below.