[Cabs-talk] Fwd: [nabs-l] Fwd: Independence 2010 - Residential Summer Program for Blind Teen

Darian Smith dsmithnfb at gmail.com
Thu Dec 10 00:24:05 UTC 2009

From: AZNOR99 at aol.com
Date: Wed, 9 Dec 2009 17:43:45 EST
Subject: [nabs-l] Fwd: Independence 2010 - Residential Summer Program
To: iabs-talk at nfbnet.org, il-talk at nfbnet.org,
nabs-presidents at nfbnet.org, nabs-l at nfbnet.org

 From: aphelps at BISM.org
To: sepolansky at verizon.net, melissa at riccobono.us,  nfbmd at nfbnet.org,
sschaffer at dors.state.md.us,  thunterpayne at dors.state.md.us,
thefur at earthlink.net, riveraley at verizon.net,  tmarch at dors.state.md.us,
tolivero at nfb.org,
wwjdtracey at comcast.net,  wmajerus at nfb.org, will.lindsay1 at gmail.com,
ddenotaris at state.pa.us,  blindchildren at verizon.net, nfbnj at yahoo.com,
dgalloway627 at gmail.com,  estherhuggins at msn.com, CDanielsen at nfb.org
CC: cdavis at BISM.org,  cnathan at bism.org, Rehabilitation at BISM.org
Sent: 12/9/2009 5:23:59 P.M.  Eastern Standard Time
Subj: Independence 2010 - Residential Summer Program  for Blind Teen

Blind Industries and Services of Maryland is pleased to  announce
Independence 2010--a six-week residential summer program for blind
and low vision
high school teens. The students of Independence 2010 will  participate in a
fun, action packed comprehensive six-week program that will  focus on learning
the nonvisual skills which are essential for teens to  successfully
transition from high school to college or employment. Students of  Independence
2010 will live in apartments supervised by adult blind  mentors/instructors who
will incorporate budgeting, maintaining a home,  preparing meals, doing
laundry, and shopping for groceries.
Independence – 2010 will include cane travel, independent  living skills,
assistive technology, Braille, physical fitness, philosophy  class, career
exploration, and several confidence building activities  including attending
the 2010 National Convention of the National Federation of  the Blind in
Dallas, Texas. In addition to learning the skills of blindness,  students will
have fun learning from successful blind role models and  participate in
exciting confidence building activities such as playing  goalball, attending a
summer festival, watching movies under the stars,  enjoying the Inner Harbor
and Little Italy to name just a few.
Who can apply:
Legally blind high school students who are entering into  10th, 11th , or
12th  grades in the fall  of 2010 and have open cases with their state’s
vocational rehabilitation  agency or who have an alternative funding source
The dates of the program are June 20 – August 1,  2010
For more information or if you have any questions, please  email me at
_aphelps at bism.org_ (mailto:aphelps at bism.org)  or call me at  410-737-2642.
Warm regards,
Amy C. Phelps
Amy C. Phelps, CRC, NOMC
Director of Rehabilitation Services
Blind Industries and Services of Maryland
3345 Washington Blvd
Baltimore, MD 21227
Phone: 410-737-2642
Mobile: 410-274-1647
Fax: 410-737-2689
Toll Free: 888-322-4567
E-mail: _aphelps at bism.org_ (mailto:aphelps at bism.org)
Web site: _www.bism.org_ (http://www.bism.org/)
“A frog in a well, can only  see its piece of the sky” ~Unknown
Confidentiality Note:   The information contained in this  message may be
privileged and confidential and protected from disclosure. If  the reader of
this message is not the intended recipient, or an employee or  agent
responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you
 are hereby
communication  in
error, please notify us immediately by replying to the message and deleting  it
from your computer.

http://www.nfbnet.org/mailman/options/nabs-l_nfbnet.org/dsmithnfb%40gmail.com

--
The National Federation of the Blind has launched a nationwide teacher
recruitment campaign to help attract energetic and passionate

"And if you will join me in this improbable quest, if you feel destiny
calling, and see as I see, a future of endless possibility stretching
before us;
if you sense, as I sense, that the time is now to shake off our
slumber, and slough off our fear, and make good on the debt we owe
past and future generations,
then I'm ready to take up the cause, and march with you, and work with
you. Together, starting today, let us finish the work that needs to be
done, and
usher in a new birth of freedom on this Earth."- Baraq Obama