[Cabs-talk] Disney and Coccia Awards

Michael Peterson its_mike at sbcglobal.net
Tue May 5 03:57:15 UTC 2009

    Aziza this grant all most sounds tailor made for YESSI!

I just looked at the article about it see here
The Gladys Marinelli Coccia Awards
By Jon Camfield @ 2:00 PM :: 187 Views ::
0 Comments
 ::
Grant Announcement
Youth Service America is pleased to launch the first annual Gladys Marinelli
Coccia
Awards to recognize two young female social entrepreneurs, ages 14 to 17,
whose initiatives
serve the common good. The awards are created in memory of Gladys Coccia,
who began
her entrepreneurial career when she was a young girl in West Virginia and
later became
a very successful businesswoman in Washington, DC.  Nominations from across
the country
are welcome; special consideration will be given to nominees from West
Virginia and
metropolitan Washington, DC. Self-nominations are accepted.   The deadline
to begin
an online nomination is June 15.  After this date, nominations cannot be
initiated.
The deadline to complete a nomination is June 30.  To access the eligibility
quiz
and the nomination form, visit
www.ysa.org/awards
 or email
coccia at ysa.org
.
About Mrs. Coccia
The award program is created in honor of Mrs. Gladys Marinelli Coccia - a
business
woman and entrepreneur since she was 15 years old until she passed away in
2007,
at the age of 93. The grandmother of YSA Board Member Brian Murrow, Gladys
grew up
in southern West Virginia and moved to the Washington DC area in 1961 where
she was
well-known in the Italian American business community as the owner and
operator of
Marinelli's Delicatessen, which she established in 1962 and managed for the
subsequent
30 years.
Eligibility
Social entrepreneurs apply business practices to achieve positive social
change and
measure their success through their social impact. They find innovative and
sustainable
ways to address pressing issues. Ambitious and persistent, they grapple with
important
causes and offer new alternatives that enhance the community.  Social
entrepreneurs
change the system, spread solutions, and persuade others to change their
actions.
With a sound application of business principles, social entrepreneurs have a
sustainable
impact on their community:  their influence contributes to a healthy,
productive,
meaningful life for others, both present and future.
Girls who meet the following criteria are eligible for the award:
Between the ages of 14 and 17 on December 31, 2009.
Located in the United States.
Special consideration will be given to nominees located in West Virginia and
Metro
Washington DC.
Have her own social enterprise.
Be supported by contributions of at least $1000 (cash and/or in-kind).
Have a business plan, including an itemized budget
Supporting Materials
Please include two letters of reference with the nomination. Letters may be
written
by anyone who knows the nominee (outside of her family), and should include
a brief
description of nominee’s relationship to writer and how the applicant
demonstrates
exemplary action for social and structural change. Letters should not exceed
one
8½ x 11-inch typed sheet of paper and should include the writer’s contact
information
and signature. Letters of recommendation must be submitted with the
nomination. The
nominator may submit
no more than three additional items
as supporting materials that demonstrate the nominee’s achievement(s). This
can include
testimonial letters, press clippings or references to stories broadcast on
TV/Radio,
etc.  Materials must be in electronic format and uploaded as part of the
nomination.
Materials sent by mail/email will not be considered.
The Award includes
$2000 for the social enterprise
Travel and registration to YSA’s Youth Service Institute
Serve as a spokesperson for YSA’s initiatives
Invitation to serve on the executive board of
Girls Helping Girls
Access to YSA’s resources to support and expand social enterprise
How do I Nominate?
Read this introduction carefully.
Take the
eligibility quiz
.
If the nominee is eligible, you will access the application.
Begin the application by June 15.  We will not accept initiation of
nominations after
this date.
Gather the supporting materials and complete the nomination, asking for
assistance
as needed.
Submit completed nomination by June 30.
Questions? Email
coccia at ysa.org
Timeline
Open period for accepting nominations:  April-June 15, 2009
YSA staff assistance to nominators:  June 15-June 30, 2009
Winners announced: September 9, 2009
Awards ceremony at the Youth service Institute, October 2009
Commentsered By:
GYSD Logo
Global Youth Service Day
April 24-26, 2009----- Original Message -----