[Cabs-talk] calling all members of the membership committee

Bruce Sexton Jr. bjsexton at comcast.net
Wed Mar 10 05:10:54 UTC 2010

I think interest can be increased by securing speakers with specialty topics
that would fascinate students.  Then advertise these speakers to a wide
audience from all California agencies that serve the blind.  Topics can
range from:

*  Applying to college by a recruiter
* summer jobs, internships, externships and more  by a career developer or
human resources person.
*  law school, what's entailed, by someone who's done it before
* Study methods and time management for the serious student
*  Blubs and extra curricular for the fun loving student
*   Show me the money, Scholarships
*  community college is an option for me
*    University, What does it take
*  legislation that effects you
*    budget cuts, how can I help?

If you secure the speakers ahead and are able to provide this list of
upcoming speakers to all service providers and put on the website these
upcoming events, I think you might get more participation.  The trick will
be constantly reminding people to participate.  Make it attractive!  then
when you get students, get their information and give them something
tangible they can do to help.

It might be good to stagger the days to accommodate people's schedules.  So
long as there is consistency and interesting things, as well as good
advertising, people will participate.

Hope that helps,
Bruce