[Cabs-talk] An experience we can all relate too

Angela Fowler fowlers at syix.com
Sat May 8 03:00:36 UTC 2010

Hello fellow students,

            At our last board meeting we discussed this very list serve, and
how we wanted to use it as, not just an announcements list, but a forum
through which we can share those experiences we have as a blind person which
sometimes leave us scratching our heads and wondering what to do. These
discussions would allow us to share strategies and advice, giving each other
the help and support which makes this organization so wonderful to be a part
of. It is ironic that one day after the meeting I experienced just such an
event, one which is not new to any of us, and which it is a struggle to
handle properly. So here is what happened, and how I handled it.

            I spoke at a workshop at the DOR office in Sacramento, after
which I approached one of my presenters wanting to introduce myself. While I
was waiting for him to end his conversation so I could speak to him, one of
the itinerate teachers that was their came up behind me, took me by the
shoulders, and steered me in the other direction.

            Having seen the empty coffee cup in my hand I think she really
did think I was lost. Also, we were in a professional setting and that
dignified conduct was required. I did not struggle against her (though I
could have stopped her), but said in a firm but jovial tone, "Whoa, I was
just going to introduce myself over there."

            She too wanted to save face, so after we circumnavigated the
room and paid a visit to the garbage can we ended up back where we started
from, parted ways, and both went about the rest of our days. I got to make
my connection, she didn't look like a total. (you know). no harm no foul.

So I submit this for your comment and dissection.

Angela