[Cabs-talk] Request for input

Diane Vlasoff vlasoff at roadrunner.com
Tue Nov 16 04:42:24 UTC 2010

Mary,

You misunderstand. I am not looking for free material, and I am well aware
of what the nfbc is and is not able to do.

What I thought the NFB is able to do is outreach to the newly impacted.  Is
it politically incorrect to ask the collective knowledge the NFB possesses
be shared in the effort to develop programs which will impact blind
students? Although I am blind I refuse to arrogantly assume that I have the
answers for the entire population. I, therefore, asked my community for
input. If you have any practical advice on outreach other than braille I
would love to know. This is not an issue of reading braille, the newly
impacted, and those with degenerative diseases may not have adequate skills
for braille to be of substantial benefit.  Even now with my own braille
skills I do not, and I venture others do not either, run my fingers across
every surface as a sighted person touches the environment visually. I am
simply attempting to include the needs of our community into the larger
conversation with credibility. This being the CABS list serve I thought that
the student on this list might have ideas on the best ways to incorporate
our needs as we plan for the widest impact of our program.

Thank you again for your consideration.

Diane