[Cabs-talk] CabsHits the "sunday Streets" -- San Francisco

Darian Smith dsmithnfb at gmail.com
Wed Aug 10 18:44:46 UTC 2011

Come Join   The California association of Blind Students at “Sunday
Streets” San Francisco!

 Summer vacation is   beginning to evaporate away.  But there is still
time to sprinkle in a little more fun into your two months of freedom.
Come and join some friends for some San Francisco-style fun!
 Cabs will be venturing into downtown San Francisco to take part in a
popular community Event known as Sunday Streets a free pedestrian and
family- friendly community gathering.
 We will meet at Powel Muni/Bart Station at 10:30 a.m. and then travel
to the Civic center Area.
If interested, or have questions please call Darian Smith, event
coordinator at (415)215-9809 or e-mail at dsmithnfb at gmail.com
 Below you will find details about this event:

Sunday Streets Tenderloin/Civic Center!!

August 14, 2011 from 11am – 4pm

Aug14_CivicCenter

The Tricycle Music Fest West
The
Tricycle Music Fest West
kicks off for a third year of family rock concerts with Frances
England, queen of kindie rock, and  local favorite, Charity and the
JAMband, at an outdoor
event outside the Main Library on Sunday, August 14. The new Green
Bookmobile, Tree Frog Treks, and Friends of the Library will be there
for a rockin’
good time.
11:30am
 Charity and the JAMband
1:00pm
Frances England
2:00pm
SF Rock Project

The “Green Zone” hosted by the
 SF Department of Environment
Grove Street between Larkin and Hyde will house a plethora of
environmental organizations and activities. More details coming soon.

Roller Disco
Come skate with D Miles and
CORA
! They will be set up on Fulton between Larkin and Hyde.

Freedom from Training Wheels
Join the
San Francisco Bicycle Coalition
 to get kids riding without training wheels! Bring bike (if you have
it) and helmet. They’ll take care of the rest. Questions? Email
marc at sfbike.org

Bike Wash and Cumbia Dancing!
Stop by 215 Golden Gate at Leavenworth to get a bike wash and dance
Cumbia with the
Beautiful Rebels
 at
Young Workers United
. Learn about their approach to helping workers in San Francisco, pick
up a copy of their guide to socially responsible restaurants and get
down with YWU!

Boedekker Park
Boeddeker Park, at Jones and Eddy, will have Tai Chi at 11 am to Noon
with instructor
Chris Sequeira of Living Tai Chi
.  Jazz band Melvin and the Mellotones will perform at the outdoor
stage in the park at 1 pm to 2 pm.  There will be activities for kids
in the children’s
play area from 11 am to closing.  These events are sponsored by the
Friends of Boeddeker Park
, the
SF Parks Trust
 and the
North of Market/Tenderloin Community Benefit District
 plus the
SF Recreation and Parks Department.

Tenderloin National Forest
Stop by Cohen Alley on Ellis between Leavenworth and Hyde to see this
beautiful hidden gem!

Hyde Street Band
 – The Best Little Band You’ve Never Heard!
Based out of the Tenderloin in San Francisco, Hyde Street Band
performs gritty, hard-rocking blues, R&B, rock, and rockabilly music –
the songs that move
us. Stop by their adhoc bandstand at 631 O’Farrell and enjoy music
covers of the Stones, Doors, Steppenwolf, Van Morrison, CCR,
Mellencamp, and others.
They will be playing music that you can dance to – we expect to see
the street filled with all ages shakin’ that booty…

More program information coming soon!

How to get to Sunday Streets:
MUNI: These routes serve the event area: Metro lines J, K, L, M, N, T
to Civic Center; 5 Fulton, *19 Polk, 21 Hayes, *27 Bryant, 31 Balboa,
*38 Geary;
* NOTE: 19, 27 and 38 lines will be re-routed on nearby streets. For
trip planning and other Muni-related info, go to www.sfmta.com

Bike: Go to: http://bicycling.511.org/ for help mapping a
bike-friendly route from your area to the Civic Center BART area

BART:  Civic Center Station: Exit at 8thand Market Street. For trip
planning, go to www.bart.gov
What is a Sunday Streets event?

Sunday Streets creates miles of car-free roads for people to get out
and get active in diverse SF neighborhoods.
Who can participate? Do I have to sign-up?

Bay Area residents of all ages, families, local businesses, and
visitors are all invited to join the fun. Come one come all. No
sign-ups required. Participants
will enjoy this unique opportunity to safely enjoy the streets and
explore new neighborhoods. We are working with an array of San
Francisco organizations
to coordinate activities along the route, so there are sure to be
something for everyone!

--
Darian Smith
2nd Vice-president, California Association of Blind Students

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."
- Martin Luther King, Jr.