[Cabs-talk] Progress made in Riverside California

Wanda Burnett misswonder55 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 18 22:18:54 UTC 2011

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Wanda Burnett <misswonder55 at gmail.com>
Date: Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 2:36 PM
Subject: cabs-talk at nfbnet.org
To: nfbc-info at nfbnet.org

National Federation of the Blind
Riverside-San Bernardino Chapter
August 2011

Hello fellow Federationists!,
    I wanted to take some time and share with you some wonderful
news! Earlier this year, we had the pleasure of having the contract
manager Virginia Werly, of our cities para transit and bus services t
speak at our monthly chapter meeting.  During that meeting I had
expressed some serious concerns about one of the citys' bus malls .
My concerns were that the buses do not have individual berths for them
to stop.  Buses stop at random places and at times, will go around
other buses that are stopped to pick up people, and cause not only
blind people but handicapped people as well to miss that bus.  Ms.
Werly promised that she would be in contact with me to address these
issues, and she followed through with her promise!  After visits to
the area of concern and negotiations with the owners of the adjoining
land, we have been heard!  In January 2012, the bus mall at the Tyler
Galleria in Riverside California will be expanded!  The new area will
include individual berths for each bus to stop.  Each stop will be
covered as well.  I am continuing to work with Ms. Werly to see if we
can add braille to the signage.
This is another fine example of what we can do when we are passionate
and work together for a common cause for the good of all people!
N.F.B. rocks.
Wanda Burnett
Vice President/Treaseur
Riverside-San Bernardino Chapter