[Cabs-talk] Totally Cool, Huge Points for the Blind

Latisha Lyles latisha Lyles latisha.lyles.inc at gmail.com
Wed Feb 27 20:15:45 UTC 2013

Hello, all i don't know if I am putting this in the right place.  All
I know is that I wanted to share this with everyone.  Go NFB we
totally rock.

National Federation of the Blind Applauds Introduction of Fair Wages Legislation

Urges Passage of Fair Wages for Workers with Disabilities Act

Baltimore, Maryland (February 27, 2013): The National Federation of
the Blind, the oldest and largest nationwide organization of blind

Americans, today
applauded the introduction of the Fair Wages for Workers with
Disabilities Act of 2013 (H.R. 831) by Representative Gregg Harper

(R-MS).  Congressman Harper,
along with eleven original co-sponsors, introduced the Fair Wages for
Workers with Disabilities Act of 2013 to repeal section 14(c) of the

Fair Labor Standards
Act, and to phase out
the discriminatory practice of paying workers with disabilities
pennies per hour.

Congressman Gregg Harper said: “Section 14(c) of the FLSA, enacted out
of ignorance about the true capacity of people with disabilities,

currently prevents
over 300,000 people with disabilities from gaining access to the work
and training environments that have been proven to be more cost

effective and to
produce more competitive integrated work outcomes.  Subminimum-wage
work is just an expression of low expectations that instills a false

sense of incapacity
in individuals, who could become competitively employed with the
proper training and support.”

Dr. Marc Maurer, President of
the National Federation of the Blind,
said: “The National Federation of the Blind and our partners
representing the 55 million Americans with disabilities fight every
day to

obtain the fundamental
freedoms that nondisabled citizens take for granted.  We applaud
Congressman Harper for having the courage to confront over seventy

years of entrenched
but false thinking about the capacity of people with disabilities.  We
strongly urge his colleagues in both houses of the United States

Congress to exhibit
the same courage by recognizing our right to have the same workforce
protections as every other American citizen.”
--
Latisha M. Latisha M. Lyles