[Cabs-talk] Unified English Braille Code?

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Sun Mar 10 17:47:06 UTC 2013

There have already been a couple responses on this, so I would just add that in general, one  can read UEB without any instruction so it isn't completely
different.  Some punctuation is different, but some of it makes sense to me.  For example, the "DD" sign is not used in UEB, which means that a normal
period, Dots 2-5-6 can be used in the middle of words or in e-mail addresses and as a decimal point as it is in print.  This makes back-translation somewhat
easier.

The UEB math code is very different than Nemeth, and many people feel it takes far too many cells to emboss mathematical expressions.  Therefore, it
was decided to keep Nemeth Code as our math code.  UEB has an indicator that will tell the reader when Nemeth is being used.

Part of planning for the transition will include what to do about certification.  I would be surprised if one would have to start from scratch, though, but I
should add that this is all still in the process of being figured out.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson