[Cabs-talk] Need Help In Chemistry

Cricket X. Bidleman cricketbidleman at gmail.com
Tue Aug 15 19:25:25 UTC 2017

Hi Melissa,

First of all, I want to welcome you to the list! I'm not sure how new
you are to CABS, but I'd like to invite you to our conference call
tomorrow night. I'm sure you can make lots of helpful contacts there,
and I'd be happy to share my information with you as well. I'm
Cricket, a freshman at Stanford University.

There are a lot of helpful resources out there that you can use. To
start with, I definitely recommend getting a Talking LabQuest, which
is a device manufactured by Independent Science, Dr. Cary Supalo's
company. It comes with various probes and other tools for collecting
data, and I've found it very useful in lab sciences. This device
connects with a computer, and in conjunction with standard laboratory
software, it revolutionizes the experience you can have by allowing
you to participate on equal footing with your sighted peers. The
Department of Vocational Rehab should fund this for you, and if they
give you any difficulty at all, let me know and I can help you write a
letter of justification.

Of course, from the professor's standpoint, lab safety is a concern.
As long as you know how to be safe in a lab though, that should not be
a concern. Blind people are doing far more "dangerous" (in quotes)
things every day. While you should definitely take your professor's
concerns to heart, there's no reason for that to discourage you...
You'll be just fine.

Aside from the LabQuest, which I honestly think you'll find endlessly
helpful, I suggest that you join the NABS list on nfbnet.org. It's
nabs-l at nfbnet.org, if I'm not mistaken. Also, you should definitely
sign up for the science and engineering division list. They are both
wonderful groups of people who will help you out a lot. I encourage
you to look at the Independent Science website, which is
http://independencescience.com/

And lastly, I would be happy to email you off-list if you have any
further questions. As a student interested in physics and computer
science, I know what it's like to be discouraged. But it is definitely
possible to achieve your goals--scientific and otherwise. I would love
to share my experiences, and I can share a bunch of useful contacts.
(I can't share people's contact information on a mailing list though,
for obvious reasons.) Please join us tomorrow on the CABS call! I'll
provide the number and access code tomorrow on this list. Thanks!

Best,
Cricket X. Bidleman
NCS Pearson, Associate Quality Assurance Engineer
Stanford University, Class of '21