[Cabs] congratulations.

Arielle Silverman arielle71 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 11 06:35:51 UTC 2008

Hi all,

	I'd like to  echo Melissa's  congratulations to  the newly elected
board  members, and to CABS as a whole. On Friday night we organized
an excellent CABS Idol karaoke night that I thought was incredibly
energizing—for us as well as for the non-students who participated
with us. It was also a great example of a collaboration between CABS
and our local chapters who helped  us incorporate the CABS Idol into
the general hospitality event. Furthermore, we were so loud and
energetic during our Saturday afternoon seminar that the other
divisions could hear us  through  the meeting room walls! Overall I
was pleased with the  momentum that we  displayed  as a division, and
with the people that we elected to serve as  our  board this year.

As  someone who just came  into the Colorado affiliate from  a
different one, I will say I'm very proud to be a member of the
National Federation of the  Blind of Colorado,  and we are extremely
blessed  to have such wise and passionate leaders  in our affiliate, a
thriving training center, successful programs and the financial
support  to make real changes for the blind of Colorado. I trust that
our student division will further the NFB of Colorado's mission and
extend it to the blind students who have not yet found us.

At our Saturday seminar Scott  Labarre told  us that we were "the
future" of the NFB in Colorado and nationally. He is right, but I
believe that we aren't  just the future, but the present as  well. As
students and young Federationists we can do a lot today to strengthen
the NFB, by meeting  with our legislators, going to Washington Seminar
and  national convention,  manning events like the Blindness movie
protest, working to grow  our  local chapters and attracting new
members  and supporters to the Federation. We  need to be active in
giving our chapters and affiliate  our ideas, experiences, and input
about our goals  and interests as students. We  have  already been
doing this and I  trust that our  presence within the NFB  of
Colorado will only grow  stronger in the coming year.  I also trust
and hope that we can be  a unified  CABS team—and that we can all
support  each other and nurture each other's successes, in school  and
otherwise.

I am excited to serve as your secretary, and to do my part  to  make
our organization's dreams realities—and to show as many blind students
as  possible that they can be firefighters,  policemen, or  whatever
they want  to  be—that the  NFB is right!

Cordially,
Arielle Silverman
Secretary, Colorado Association  of  Blind  Students
Chair, Membership Committee
602-502-2255
Arielle71 at gmail.com