[Cabs] commemorative coin rap up

Chris Foster cjfoster2000 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 23 17:42:40 UTC 2009

Hello Federation Colleagues,

I wanted to share some information that I recently received on a national
coin coordinator conference call regarding the rap up of the sales of the
2009 Louis Braille Commemorative Coin.  Of course, by now you all know that
the last day for coin sales from the U.S. Mint was Friday, December 11.  The
latest total that the National office has is that we sold just over two
hundred twenty-two thousand coins.  This is an incredible amount of coins
sold, especially given that many have fallen on financial difficulties in
the last year.  We also learned that we will in fact receive just over 2.2
million dollars from the U.S. Mint to put towards our Braille literacy
initiative.  The national office has also raised and set aside additional
monies in the amount of 2.2 million dollars.  So, we now have a combined 4.4
million dollars to put towards dealing with the Braille literacy crisis in
our nation.  Thanks to every one of you who did your part to get the word
out to help sell coins.  On the conference call, Doctor Schroeder commented
that wile we didn't get all four hundred thousand coins sold, we may have
done more to get the word and the message of the National Federation of the
Blind out to more people than ever before.
Please stay tuned to hear more news about the coin.  Our Denver chapter and
our state affiliate have both purchased coins that we can use in the future
for special presentations, Braille achievement prizes, and to possibly sell
to raise money in the future.  As these coins can no longer be purchased
from the mint, they are already in affect collectors items.  Again, thanks
for all your help and stay tuned for more information.  I wish all of you a
happy and warm holiday season!  Chris Foster