[Cabs] Action Alert: Impending RTD Strike

Alicia Richards alicia716 at msn.com
Wed Feb 18 10:18:31 UTC 2009

Hello, all. The following was posted to the Colorado Talk list by Ryan Osentowski, who is the Chairman of the Denver chapter's RTD committee.  He is not on the CABS list, so I am posting it here, for anyone who might not be on Colorado Talk.  Thanks.

Alicia

This message is for those of you living in the greater Denver area!

It has come to our attention that RTD and the RTD Union are discussing a
possible strike. I don't know of any other details on a time line or any of
the points of contention in the negotiation process. I do know that the
threat is very real and apparently, very eminent.

Due to this course of events, President Batron and I are encouraging
everyone to attend a meeting this coming Thursday, February 19, from 10:00
A.M. to noon. The meeting will be held in down town Denver at 633 17th
Street on the second floor of the building. I am not aware of the names of
the major participants at the meeting, but I do know that it is open to the
public and everyone who can is encouraged to attend.

It is imperative that we illustrate to RTD that a strike is an unacceptable
course of action as a negotiation tactic. If this strike happens, light rail
service will cease and we will receive extremely limited bus service. For
those of you who are Access-a-Ride users, you can count on a much more
difficult time receiving timely transportation due to the system being
over-burdened by other riders during the strike period. A strike of this
magnitude is nothing less than crippling for those who are transit dependent
and we must make our voices heard.

If you have any further questions about the meeting, please contact
President Batron at 303-778-1130 Ext. 222. You can also contact me at
720-209-7121. We hope to see everyone this Thursday.

Sincerely,

Ryan Osentowski - NFB Denver RTD Committee Chairman