[Cabs] Question for you all

Esha Mehta esha.mehta at colorado.edu
Sun Dec 18 01:11:55 UTC 2011

 Hey Koby!

Great question! Before I came to the center 3 years ago, I did the
same thing...I asked about a million questions and really wanted to
know what I could expect from the program. Way to do the homework :).

There wasn't much that I totally disliked about the Center. I was one
of thesthose who had to wear sleep shades to block out my  residual
vision, so that was quite difficult at first. I didn't like how they
immediately gave you sleepshades and expected you to be okay with
them. I wish they would've  given me more warning. However, in a way,
it was a good thing because it allowed me to learn quickly how to
adjust.  Some of the classes were a little less structured than
others. You start at whatever skill level you hav and then  build upon
that, but because you will have classes with people who are either at
a higher levl or just beginning to learn things like cooking, Braille,
or JAWS, it inevitably gets harder for the instructors to make it
completely  give equal aounts of attention to both the higher level
and beginning student.

What I absolutely loved about the center were the people. They really
do become your family and are there to help you.  It's also a very
challenging program, but what you put in in terms of effort and
practice is what you will gain. Be prepared to work hard, not lift up
your shades, and utmost, be prepared to be pushed out of your comfort
zone. For ewxamply, you will be expected to participate in challenge
recreation where you will do things like rock climbing, skiing, and
canoing all under blindfolds. It's a wonderful chance for you to gain
emmense  amount of confidence. Once you ski down a bue run under blind
folds, crossing an intersection becomes les of an impossible task.

It will be frustrating at first and may even seem a bit crazy, but
stick with it. The first few days are the hardest, bu once you get
into the swing of things, it will become much easier. If you've never
been involved with the NFB, as was the case with me when I first came
to the center, it might be overwhelming when you learn about the
organization's philosophy. Keep in mind though, whether you like the
organization or not, your responsibility is to learn what you can from
all of your classes. Keep an open mind about the NFB because you may
be surprised at how similar your own beliefs allign with them. Don't
be afraid to speak out and ask questions during philosophy class. I
was dead set against the whole organization the first few days I was
there, but I learned, once I gave them a fiar chance, that I did
actually agree with what they were saying.

I know that's probably a lot of information and perspective at once,
but I wanted to try and give you both sides of the story to be fair.
If you have any more question, don't hesitate to contact me personally
off the list serve. I hope this heps some.

Take care and good luck at the CCB! It's an experience that completely
changed my life for the better, despite the dificulties and rough
aspects.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year,
Esha `