[Cabs] Global Explorers Update-Only a Few Hours Left...

Esha Mehta esha.mehta at colorado.edu
Tue Jul 5 22:51:34 UTC 2011

And a good afternoon to you all!

First, I would like to apologize for not updating you all on my
progress any sooner. It's been a very busy few months full of our
Global Explorers Leadership Retreat, finals week, family vacation, and
much more. But now I'm here to fill you in on my fundraising status,
the retreat, and a few final thoughts for all of you.

The final donation amounts are finally in! Fundraising has been one of
the challenges I've faced since getting accepted into the program. I
had no idea who, what, or where to ask; but, because of your
donations, guidance, well-whishing, and prayers along the way--I am
beyond thrilled to inform you all that nearly 100% of entire trip has
been paid for, program fee AND gear! There is no way I can ever feel
like I've thanked you guys enough for helping me get to this day. Back
in January, I seriously thought I would have to turn down my
acceptance because I had no real experience with any of this. So,
thank you...thank you so much for all of your support, guidance, and
well wishes. I can't wait to share my entire experience with all of
you after I make it home.

As for the leadership retreat in April, it was the first time I met
the rest of the team and team leaders. It was held in the beautiful
grounds of Rocky Mountain Village in Empire, Colorado. We spent the
weekend learning the various types of leadership--especially servant
leadership where the person serves his/her community's needs and then
leads them, keeping the people's needs and goals in mind. We also
participated in lots of team building activities such as zip-lining
down a valley, pitching a tent blindfolded, and recognizing the
personality differences we all have and how each of our different
personalities are extremely important  aspects of our team as a whole.
I've attached some of our pictures that I've gotten from the retreat
and really hope you enjoy them!

I can't believe that in a few short hours, I'll be on a flight with
one of my teammates to the sweltering heat of Phoenix, Arizona! Many
things are running through my head as I type out this message--one of
them being my educational project that I have to present to my entire
team, the Grand Canyon Youth guides, and our trip leaders. It took me
a long while to find a topic I'd be interested in, but after doing
some research, I think I've found the perfect topic! While researching
things about desert animals, I actually became curious about how
plants survive in arid climates. Yes, I didn't think there was a big
connection there either nor did I think I would ever get really into
that topic but boy did I! I'm so excited, I can't stop smiling...it's
going to be a long night! :)

As I look back to when this all began in November--back when I had no
clue about this organization, the Grand Canyon, or how to speak about
something that I'm truly passionate about --three things come to mind.
First, it had to be fate because I just happened to read an email that
was getting passed around about Global Explorers and decided to pass
it along to family to see if they'd nominate me. Second, as I read
more and more about the program and talked to a friend that went on
the trip, I realized this would be the story of my summer and all
fears aside, I was going to find a way to go. Third, I really wonder
where the time has gone! About eight months have gone by since I got
the initial email saying I was in and it's been an incredible roller
coaster ever since and one that I can't wait to ride again. It's been
a challenging ride for sure, but I feel I have a better grasp on all
the twists, turns, and loops. I've learned and grown so much and I
can't wait to see how our trip is going to change all of us that are
going!

With all this said, I really want to thank you all again for all the
support you have given me. There is no way I could have done this
without your help and guidance. Enjoy the pictures and I'll talk to
you real soon! Arizona, here i come!

With warm smiles,
Esha

PS- Here are the descriptions of the photos for any of you who would like them.
Photo 1:  Lauren helping Esha put on her helmet for the zip-line.(img 41)
Photo 2: Esha on the climbing wall.  (img. 53)
Photo 3:  Rim to River team huddled up in blankets as they wait for
the zip-line.  (img. 63)
Photo 4:  Esha, wearing a blindfold, is lead through a human obstacle
course by her expedition leader, Shannon, to practice using trekking
poles.  (img 178)
Photo 5:  Esha practices with trekking poles as she steps over a human
"rock". (img. 180)
Photo 6:  Esha reading a night skies book in braille.  (img 220)
Photo 7:  Rim to River team on their first hike together!
Photo 8:  Rim to River team.