[Cabs] Global Explorers Update

Esha Mehta esha.mehta at colorado.edu
Wed Mar 30 18:44:54 UTC 2011

Greetings from Colorado!

Hello everyone! With April and final exams fast approaching, I thought
I would send out another update about my fundraising projects and the
preparation I've been doing for my Global Explorers trip this July.
March has been a very crazy month filled with fundraising projects,
presentations, and preparation for our Global Explorers leadership
retreat which will be taking place next weekend!

Over spring break, I had the opportunity to make a few fundraising
presentations at the Colorado Center for the Blind and at the monthly
chapter meetings for the National Federation of the Blind of Denver.
This was a totally new experience for me but I learned so much about
how to make a compelling presentation in front of dozens of people.
The first presentation was the hardest because I wasn't sure what to
say or how to make my cause seem important, but by the third one, I
was able to speak with passion and more confidence! I've always been
shy when speaking in front of large crowds, but these presentations
helped me get more comfortable with public speaking.

Also this month, we had our second team conference call where we
learned about Conservation Biology and the importance of maintaining
the Earth's biodiversity. I can't wait to learn about the different
ecosystems in the Grand Canyon this summer and how they are all
connected and how they work together to make life possible on earth.
We also learned the importance of responsible camping and the negative
effects of human impact (campfires, man-made hiking trails, etc) harm
plant and wildlife.

As far as fundraising goes, I have some very exciting news! As of last
Monday, I have raised enough to cover the program fee of $1670! Thanks
to all of you who have donated and supported me in this amazing cause!
It really means so much to me that I have people willing to help me
out! But, I'm still not finished all my fundraising. The program fee
covers our curriculum material, lodging, food, equipment,
transportation for our leadership retreat in April, and insurance.
However, it does not cover our transportation costs to get to Arizona.
Right now, a roundtrip ticket is about $220; but, Global Explorers is
buying my ticket so prices may go up to about $270-300 by the time
they book tickets with their travel agent. So, in short, I only have
about $300 more to go!

I am asking for $50; however, any amount you can give at all will
greatly help me offset the cost of airfare. . If you would like to
help me with this, please send me cash or check donations made out to
Global Explorers and include my name in the Memo field. If you prefer,
you can also make a donation online at:
http://www.globalexplorers.org/get_involved/donate_now/.  Choose “LTW
Grand Canyon” from the drop-down menu. I'm collecting donations for
airfare till May 1st.

Again, thank you so much to everyone who has already donated and to
all of you who took time to read this update! I can't wait to send you
my next update in a few weeks!

If you have any questions, please feel free to email me or call me at:
610-348-1904.

Take care and have a wonderful week!
Esha

PS: If you would like to send me a check directly, my address is:
9692 Stearns West
600 30th St.
Boulder, CO 80310