[Cabs] TODAY!!! CALL YOUR SENATORS ABOUT S 346

Jessica Beecham jbeecham at cocenter.org
Thu Jun 27 14:42:06 UTC 2013

Hello Friends

The NFB of Colorado needs all hands on deck.  We are organizing a
call/e-mail campaign to our Senators TODAY, June 27th to raise support for
S 346 which will come to the Senate floor as an amendment to the National
Defense Authorization Act.  This has already passed through the house.
 There are currently 14 Senate co-sponsors (none from CO) and we would like
to see that number increase in the next week.

Here is how you can help.  We need you to call and e-mail Senators Bennet
and Udall and urge them to sign on as co-sponsors for S 346.  Below is a
sample of what you can write in an e-mail.  You can use this same
information to frame your phone conversation.  The below e-mail is ONLY A
SAMPLE.  It encompasses the key points and ideas but PLEASE modify the
e-mail that you send so that our senators do not get 300 of the same
e-mail.  We want them to know that we as blind individuals care that
service disabled veterans have the right to utilize the space available
program.

The issue:

We want Udall and Bennet to support S 346 which will be presented as an
amendment to The National Defense Authorization Act.  Under current
legislation individuals who retire from the service, are a dependent of
someone in the service, work for the red cross, or fall into a couple of
other categories can ride in military cargo planes when there is space
available for little or no cost.  When this legislation was passed there
was no prevision for individuals who happened to be 100% service disabled
so therefore could not retire from the service.  We want individuals who
are 100% service disabled to be recognized as one of the groups who can
take advantage of Space Available flights.  When this went before the
house, we had bipartisan support from a large number of representatives.
 We want our senators to sign on to S 364 as co-sponsors and show their
support for disabled service men and women.  Senators Bennett and Udall can
sign on to S 346 by contacting Kellin Clark in Senator Tester's office.

SAMPLE E-MAIL PLEASE MODIFY

To Whom it may concern:

My Name is (your name) and I am writing on behalf of the National
Federation of the Blind of Colorado.  The National Defense Authorization
Act will be coming up for a vote on the floor within the next two weeks.
 Senator Tester will be proposing an amendment in the form of S 346 which
currently has 14 co-sponsors.  As I am sure you know, a large by-partisan
group of representatives already voted for similar legislation in the House
version of the DEFENSE Act.  We are asking and encouraging that Senator
(enter name) show his support for disabled service men and women by
becoming another cosponsor on S 346.  Senator (enter name) can be added to
S 346 by contacting Kellin Clark in Senator Tester's office.  please
co-sponsor S 346 when it comes up for vote on the floor.

Sincerely,

(Insert Name)
National Federation of the Blind of Colorado

Contact Phone Information

Senator Michael Bennet
202-224-5852
http://www.bennet.senate.gov/contact/email
ryan_johnson at bennet.senate.gov

Senator Mark Udall
202-224-594
info at udallforcolorado.com

If you have any questions or need assistance please call me on my at
720-440-2632 or e-mail me at jbeecham at cocenter.org.

Beat Wishes and Happy Calling/E-Mailing!

--
Jessica Beecham
Chapter and Community Development Coordinator
jbeecham at cocenter.org
720-440-2632