[Cabs] (no subject)

Jessica Beecham jbeecham at cocenter.org
Tue Apr 22 18:33:32 UTC 2014

Along with our BELL programs in the Denver and Westminster locations, we would like to host a BELL program in the Fort Collins and Loveland area.

The dates of the Fort Collins/Loveland program will be from June 16-27, 2014. We are trying to gauge interest to determine whether there will be enough participants to move forward with this program. If you are a family member of a blind or visually impaired child, a professional in the field of blindness, or just somebody that knows of blind or visually impaired kiddos in the Fort Collins/Loveland area please let us know.

BELL is a great opportunity for children that are learning to read braille, use large print and want an introduction to braille, need practice with activities of daily living, and want the opportunity to spend time with other blind and visually impaired peers.  BELL is a fantastic tool for increasing independence, confidence, and a positive attitude about blindness.

Do you know a child between the ages of 4 and 12 who is blind, low vision or is loosing vision?

Does this child currently read Braille or large print?

Would he or she benefit from spending time with other blind peers?

Would he or she benefit from hanging out with positive blind role models?

If you answered yes to any of these questions please consider introducing this child to BELL!

This year we will have a program in Denver, Colorado Springs, and we are working to determine if we have enough interest to expand to Ft. Collins.  If you are not in any of these areas but know a blind child who would benefit from BELL please let us know so that we can consider expanding to your area next year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aBTNcasZPQ

BELL:  A Summer Braille Camp for Kids

[X]

The BELL Program, a project of the NFB Jernigan Institute, is a two week day camp experience for blind and visually impaired children ages 4-12.  Officially the letters B.E.L.L. stand for "Braille Enrichment for Literacy and Learning", but for the kids, the letters stand for F.U.N.   Both beginners and more accomplished Braille readers will gain confidence in reading and writing while engaged in games, crafts and exciting outdoor activities.  There will be two BELL camps this year.  The BELL program in Colorado Springs is being held from July 14 through 25, 2014 on the campus of Colorado School for the Deaf and Blind (CSDB).  The second BELL camp will be held in Westminster area from July 21 through August 1, 2014 at the Rocky Mountain MS Center, which is located at 8845 Wagner Street.

 Please visit our website to apply for BELL https://nfbtx.org/bell-registration

The programs will run Monday through Friday.  The programs will be led by certified Braille teachers as well as others who love Braille and use it every day.  There is no cost to attend, but families will be encouraged to volunteer at least one day during the programs.   Cash donations will also be appreciated.  Transportation to and from the camps will be the family's responsibility.  Space is limited, so call soon to request an application.  For more information contact program coordinator Diane McGeorge, at 303-321-4268.or e-mail rmcgeorge at comcast.net.  You can also contact Michelle Chacon at mchacon at adams50.org or phone 303-456-9000.