[Cabs] Exciting Changes to The Blind Coloradan! We are Now a Blog!

James Beal bealcorgi at aol.com
Thu Jul 17 22:15:18 UTC 2014

Even if you get the bugs out of this blog, it will only serve to disenfranchise more of our membership than the ezine has. I don't?make this criticism lightly.
?
One of the things I do to help the folks in the Pueblo chapter is print out the Blind Coloradoan whenever it comes out and distribute it. I do so because only three of the members have computers and only two of them have email. If I didn't provide them with info, they would be completely out of the loop. This is not something you want to have happen when you are interested in maintaining, building, or strengthening an affiliate.
?
The problem with having The Blind Coloradoan exclusively available on a blog is compounded with recent situations with DVR and other possible funding sources. Most of our membership is on some sort of fixed income be it Social Security, SSDI, veterans' retirement, or another government program. While the cost of computerized equipment has come down, even with cell phone technology, the cost of getting set up to access the blog will run around $700, the equivalent of one month's check for most folks. Then there is learning to use the equipment once you have it. Our seminars at conventions are helpful but most people will need more ongoing help at least initially. There is a shortage of people willing or able to assist with this. Even if you find someone to help you learn how to access the blog, This could cost an individual upwards of $80 per hour of instruction.
?
There is one advantage to doing this, however. That is that it takes less time and effort to edit a blog than might be needed with the Blind Coloradoan in its current format.
?
This is the tip of an iceberg I see coming at our organization like one did with the Titanic. We are developing two classes of members, those who can afford to participate fully in what we do and the rest who occasionally get involved but can't really contribute beyond being a warm body at Washington or one time every ten years attending National. If we are to survive as an organization we will need to find ways to expand member participation, not limit it. Food for thought. Take a little time to digest it.
James Bealbealcorgi at aol.com

-----Original Message-----From: Jessica Beecham via Cabs <cabs at nfbnet.org>To: Colorado-talk <colorado-talk-bounces at nfbnet.org>; cabs <cabs at nfbnet.org>; Nfb-greeley <nfb-greeley-bounces at nfbnet.org>; Pvc-nfbco <pvc-nfbco-bounces at nfbnet.org>; Jessica Beecham <jbeecham at cocenter.org>Sent: Wed, Jul 16, 2014 4:06 pmSubject: [Cabs] Exciting Changes to The Blind Coloradan! We are Now a Blog!   For Immediate Release  Release Date:  Wednesday July 16, 2014  Jessica Beecham  Chapter and Community Development Coordinator  National Federation of the Blind of Colorado  303-778-1130 x 223  720-440-2632  jbeecham at nfbco.org<mailto:jbeecham at nfbco.org>   Colorado Springs, CO (July 16, 2014). The National Federation of the Blind of  Colorado this week announced that The Blind Coloradan will be changing formats  to bring readers more timely, empowering information and opinion. The Blind  Coloradan will now evolve into a blog Blind Coloradan theblindcoloradan.blogspot.com.  According to Kevan Worley, who has edited The Blind Coloradan in recent years,  "This is very exciting for readers who really want to stay in the know. We will  now be able to better target our creativity and use of valuable time to bring  more immediate information, analysis, and opinion to our readers, both within  and outside of our immediate Federation family. We can more effectively meet the  needs of our readers through a more relevant, accessible, 21st Century solution.  I look forward to collaborating with Jessica Beecham and all future contributors  to make our new blog a powerful tool of communication and inspiration."  For over three years, the NFB of Colorado newsletter, The Blind Coloradan, has  published three to four times per year. It has been inspired by the National  Federation of the Blind of Colorado's best intention, expansive creativity, and  earnest commitment to bring each reader profiles, information, event summaries,  resolutions, and convention reports. The newsletter quickly began to become too  dense. It began to resemble a news magazine rather than a breezy, up-to-date  news bulletin. It became daunting to write and even more daunting to read.  For quite some time now, the organization has also had a blog. NFB CO has  determined that the best use of time, effort, and imagination would be to target  resources more effectively and encourage everyone to read the new Blind Colorada  blog. Please send news people can use, notices of upcoming chapter activities,  and opinion to Kevan Worley or Jessica Beecham. Email kevanworley at blindmerchants.org<mailto:kevanworley at blindmerchants.org>  or jbeecham at nfbco.org<mailto:jbeecham at nfbco.org>. The affiliate plans to keep  the blog lively and up-to-date. NFB CO also plans to add the blog to the local  news channel on NFBNewsline. So, check the blog, read the blog, and share the  blog with others theblindcoloradan.blogspot.com<http://www.blindcoloradan.blogspot.com/>. _______________________________________________ Cabs mailing list Cabs at nfbnet.org http://nfbnet.org/mailman/listinfo/cabs_nfbnet.org To unsubscribe, change your list options or get your account info for Cabs: http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/cabs_nfbnet.org/bealcorgi%40aol.com