[Cabs] CABS update

annajee82 at gmail.com annajee82 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 2 05:24:59 UTC 2016

It's 2016 and the Colorado Association of Blind Students is gearing up for this new year.
Already much has happened.
Over the last month, the events committee planned and pulled off a fun Christmas party for the students.  After schools wrapped up for the year, we went to an ice skating rink downtown to try our skills, and although the rink shut down right after we got there for some unexpected maintanance, it was a beautiful day to be out.  We sat around and chatted outdoors and then made our way over to dinner at Rock Bottom Restaurant for a fun evening with new and old friends.
It was great to have people from all over Denver metro, Fort Collins, Greeley, and Colorado Springs join us.
The fundraising committee is well on the  way to making some money for the division, to be used for things such as Washington seminar, scholarships, student seminars, advocacy and education, and social events, among other things. With our NFL survivor pool over, we are soon starting our play-offs survivor pool, in which quite a few people will be participating. And there's still time to sign up!!
In addition to our play-off pool, we are planning an "A" pledge where people can pledge money for each "A" made by our students in the upcoming spring semester.  More info on this is to come!

We are in the process of sending scholarship information to each of the high schools and colleges in Colorado, so that everyone can be informed of our local and national scholarships.

We have had board members working with the Colorado Center for the Blind in helping with FAST Saturday programs, speaking to the college prep class, and mentoring at the Colorado School for the Deaf and Blind.

Also I am pleased that we have a student going to Washington seminar this year as well.

Lastly, I will mention and remind that the CABS board meetings are open to everyone and are held on the second Sunday of every month at 7 PM.  Therefore, the next one will be on January 10 at 7 PM.  These meetings are to discuss the happenings of the division, and how we can continue to move in a positive direction and reach out to be of more help to more students.  Please join us.

This can be the best year yet!

For any questions or comments please contact me or any of the CABS board members.  We would be delighted to hear from you.

Anna E Givens,
President,
Colorado Association of Blind Students

(402)817-8934