[Cabs] [Colorado-talk] Looking for help with talking calculator availability

Anna Givens annajee82 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 21 14:02:42 UTC 2018

J D,

This is a great question and also would be a great discussion on the CABS list serv as well.
Talking scientific and graphinf calculators can be ordered from APH, the American Pronting House for the Blind. They actually have new calculators now too, but it is not necessary to get the new veraions.
There are also third party sellers as well.
I'm not sure where you have looked so far, feel free to let me know.
There is no reasom that you would have to wait 90 days to receive a calculator.
Ideally, you or your school should have already had the calculator in hand before the classes start. However, when this is not possible, it is the school's obligation to help you get the tools you need (calculator) in a timely manner.
This also depends on whether you are wanting the calculator for yourself to keep and own, or just wamting to use it for a class or two.

Steps to take:
1. Have a conversation with your Disability Reaource coordinator outlining what you need the calculator for, why you need this specific device, the trouble you have had so far, or will be having, in your studies, if you don't get it,  the steps that you have taken and that have been taken by the Disability Resource or anyone else so far, and what needs to happen next. Always email these things in addition to calling. If no action is taken in next few days, borrow one from someone in the area who has one (I know plenty of people in Colorado who have such calculators, and in the meantime continue the conversation with your coordinator and ADA coordinator if necessary.

I will contact you off liat to see how I can help as well.

All the best,
Anna E Givens

Sent from my iPhone