[Capchapohio] Internal Matters for our chapter

eduffy eduffy at deltav.org
Thu Nov 19 20:36:17 UTC 2009

Dear All:

Stephanie tells me she might bring three new people to our meeting on
Saturday. That is a great thing and we should all do what we can to bring
guests.

That being said, I would like to have a discussion on our chapter list for
those who are willing to participate. If we must have such a discussion
with guest, we will, but I would rather not. I have copied J.W. Smith on
this message so that he can see how I have framed the issue.

Although technically  we have revitalized a chapter in Columbus, we are
really starting from the beginning. So many of our members are brand new
that  we all have to learn to work together. We all have to develop our
communications with each other and learn to function as a chapter. This can
and will happen if we are patient   and sincere about building the chapter
together.

That is what I want to do.

At our August meeting I said that I would serve as president of the chapter
for as long as the membership wanted me to do so and as long as my personal
life would permit it.
I also said that if there are others who are willing and able to hold the
office I would support them. All of this is still true. I do not need to
hold an office at any level of this organization. I do so because I want to
serve blind people in the best way that I can. For me that way is building
the National Federation of the Blind however I can.

 J.W. has brought it to my attention that members are unhappy with the speed
at  which our chapter is progressing.

I admit, I have had frustrations. We had a difficult time finding a
permanent  location, but I believe that's behind us now.
I did not know our  certification with the Secretary of State had lapsed,
and it took me a while to get that taken care of, but it is done.

I have more than a full-time job.  I have two kids, and I try to have a
little bit of a social life.
I am willing to make this chapter a priority, but again, I don't have to be
President. As long as I am president, I will handle my responsibilities in
the best way I know how.

That may not be the same way someone else would do it, but I also know it is
easier to believe  that you could do a better job until you are forced to do
so.

I appreciate the way many of you have just jumped in and gotten things done.
Please talk to me. Call me. Email me.
Let me know your concerns and your joys. I am willing to listen.  I want for
us to be the best organiziation we can be.

Recently I heard someone say that our chapter was once the largest chapter
in the state. I do not believe  that was ever the case.  But I know for a
fact we were once the strongest chapter in the state, and I want that
distinction again. Together we can make it happen. Work with me. Talk to me,
and let's build this chapter together.