[Capchapohio] March meeting minutes

Shelbi Hindel shelbiah at att.net
Thu Apr 25 19:07:11 UTC 2013

Pasted below are the minutes from our March meeting. Please review them
prior to the meeting. We will be voting on the minutes but will not be
reading them at the meeting.

Thanks,

Shelbi

Capital Chapter Meeting

3/23/13

Maynard Ave Methodist Church

2:00 pm

Attendees: MariLyn Piepho, Shavaji Kumar, JW Smith, Eric Duffy, Stephanie
Claytor, Vince Manning, Angela Clark, Shelbi Hindel, Gerri Collier, Beth
Debus, LaVerne Nevis

Updates on personal information done. If you opt out of sharing information,
you will not receive current updates.

Presidential Release played.

There are 30 National Scholarships to be awarded and less than 100
applicants.  Applications due by 3/31/13.

JW asked what we think of the Presidential release and what do we think it
does for us?  Comments from long and boring to good information and a way to
connect with all chapters were made. JW remarked that this is indeed a way
for President Maurer to keep in contact and develop relationships with all
chapters, share information on issues of National importance and updates on
events, plus humorous jokes.  Get what you can out of it.

Secretary Minutes read.

Questions raised about putting minutes out by email to members for reading
and corrections before next meeting to save time for important items at
meetings.  If someone doesn't have email, the minutes could be read or sent
to members.

JW made motion to approve minutes and to send out before the next meeting.
Stephanie seconded, voted and passed.

Treasurer Report read with balance of $479.38 as of 3/22/13. This includes 2
deposits of candy fundraiser and dues.  Motion to accept by MariLyn, with
second by Angie, voted and passed.

Government Report given by Eric regarding the issues covered during the
Washington Seminar 2013.

.         Members were asked to find out who their local representatives are
and to share that at next meeting. He stated that it was important to
contact our reps for support of issues because people commit and just don't
follow through to co-sponsor.

.          Contact can be made by phone.

.         Members can sign the petition online to support legislation. Eric
will mail it out to chapter list.

.         Phone calls and e-mails are equally effective, can't always reach
by phone, but can try.

.         Next month during introductions include your representative.

BELL review

.         Fliers disseminated to teachers, educators, schools, with 2
kindergarten aged applicants so far.

.         Application will go live on website this week.

.         On track with information, but still need fundraising and
recruitment of students.

.         Others to target for recruitment include: paraprofessionals,
special- ed coordinators, libraries, etc. May get information multiple
times.

.         Company to do background checks with no charge to volunteers.
Will not know number of volunteers needed until we know the number of kids
participating.

.         Fundraising  important to BELL- will use the high end of budget as
a goal so that leftover can be used for 2014.

What is involved in the money to run the program

.         To pay instructors or not

.         Mobility- canes

.          Braille material to be Brailled

.         Braille book to be given to each participating student-purchased
or donated - people can purchase one through Seedlings, National Braille
Press, etc,  to donate. Price range of $5- $20

.         Lunch, snacks

.         Field trips, facility expenses

.         Extended BELL through Saturday of 2nd week to do a Seminar for
Parents.  A good opportunity to reach out state wide to attract people with
various topics and speakers.

Both Laverne and Angie voiced interest in learning more about book
donations.

Fundraising

.   The last of candy given out today.

.   We have sold 13 cases of 48 bars each.

.   May consider doing this again next year with $1 bars, not necessarily
Harry London, but of comparable value.

Sharing an Article from NFB publications

.         Carol shared the article for March

.         April article will be done by Eric

.         May article will be done by Stephanie

.         June article will be done by JW

Scrip order due 3/28 at 9 am due to Scrip being closed the 1st week of April

State Board meeting will be April 20 by conference call at 10 am

Miscellaneous

.         Eric and Shelbi participated in checking out an accessible
construction zone  at Embassy Suites in Dublin to give input on various
materials used to indicate a construction site, in relation to safety of
blind people.  This included such things as caution tape, hard plastic,
metal and voice activation to determine the effectiveness in indicating
construction sites.

.         Eric noted that Chase is working on a Braille credit card and met
with him to review a model card for input and evaluation.  The card would
not have owners name on it.

.         Church Thrift Store update- Donna B's will open soon and will be
dealing mainly with furniture, kitchen items and small appliances, books,
CD's, movies, but not clothing.  They would welcome donations.

.         Service projects of food donations to the church pantry, coats in
winter will continue and we will look for other ways we can serve.

.         JW suggested we have a meeting with fun such as eating afterwards.
Discussion was that we could possibly make this into a fundraiser if we can
arrange it with a restaurant to do a dine to donate in June.   Possible date
of June 22, maybe O'Charleys?

Meeting adjourned at 3:30 pm

Respectfully submitted by Carol Akers