[CapChapOhio] December Meeting Minutes

Eric Duffy peduffy63 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 4 20:50:42 UTC 2019

Pasted below and attached you will find the minutes from our December chapter meeting.

National Federation of the Blind of Ohio Capital Chapter
Meeting Minutes
December 1, 2018

1. The meeting was called to order by President Annette Lutz at 10:00 AM at the Maynard Avenue United Methodist Church, 2350 Indianola Avenue in Columbus, Ohio. Members present were Carol Akers, Dustin Akers, Eric Duffy, Shelley Duffy, Dustin Grandstaff, Misty Hatcher, Heather Leiterman, Michael Leiterman, Annette Lutz, Dale Pennington, Linda Pennington, Marilyn Pennington, and. Mari-Lyn Piepho. Jeron Chapman was a guest.

2. The Minutes from the November meeting were approved as corrected. The correction was that President Lutz would send a membership list to individuals. She would not post it to the chapter list as the minutes said she would do.

3. We did not have a Treasurer’s report. Annette said there were no significant changes in the account. Of note is that Carol Akers did pay dues, and that money was deposited. The chapter needs to send $37 to the state affiliate to fulfill the pledge that was made at the state convention. Eric Duffy was given cash in that amount, and he will send a check to the affiliate treasurer. Mari-Lyn Piepho, Dustin Grandstaff, Eric Duffy, Shelley Duffy, Dale Pennington, and Marilyn Pennington paid dues during the meeting.

4. We then spent time discussing possible chapter activities for the upcoming year. We came up with the following ideas with the understanding that we can add to or change any of these. We may not be able to do all of these things, but they are certainly our goals. Here they are:

A. Tupperware bingo, Shelley Duffy;

B. Scholarship promotional activity could be a gathering for pizza and information after the March chapter meeting. Eric Duffy

C. Membership building dinner for April or May Annette Lutz. As part of this discussion we agreed that we should do some out reach to former members. This would include those who were part of the chapter before the reorganization. President Lutz will have responsibility for this as well. Under separate cover she has a list of the people who were identified during the meeting for special outreach.

D. Pancake breakfast with proceeds being shared with the chapter and the Ohio State School for the Blind, Eric Duffy

E. Annette Lutz said she wanted to attend other chapter meetings during the year. We also discussed the importance of participating in other chapter activities as well as inviting chapters to our events.

F. NFB night at the Clippers, Eric Duffy

G. Bake Sale

H. Participate in health fairs

I. White cane Activities during meet the blind month in October this could include a White Cane Banquet. Whatever we do we should try to include the OSSB marching band.

J. Talent showcase, Jeron Chapman

K. Ongoing public bingo fundraiser, Mike Leiterman

5. We then discussed ways to advertise our chapter meetings and events. Misty Hatcher is our Social media Coordinator Shelley Duffy will work on Advertising with Voice Corps, and Mike Leiterman will work to get announcements on COTA buses.

6. Mike Leiterman asked chapter members to contact the president of the Ohio Senate asking him to get H.B. 309 on the calendar for a vote. This is our parental rights bill.

7. Eric Duffy said we should play the presidential release during the meetings. Mike Leiterman said that we should not play the release, because people could listen to it independently. Eric Duffy moved that the Presidential Release be played at the beginning or the end of the meeting. Marilyn Pennington seconded the motion. Mike Leiterman said that he would do his best to miss the playing of the release. He said that if it were played at the beginning he would come in late. If it were played at the end, he would walk out. The motion passed.

8. We discussed the importance of saying the NFB pledge and one-minute message during chapter meetings.

9. Eric Duffy announced that as a result of individual, chapter, and division contributions the affiliate gave $1,400 to the OSSB Foundation for the model restoration project. This includes the $100 contribution from the Capital Chapter.

10. Eric Duffy also announced that the Ohio Affiliate was awarded the Braille Literacy Teaching Grant from OOD for 2019. More details will be announced once the contract is finalized.

11. Eric Duffy made a motion that we purchase phone pouches to sell for $7. Our cost is $3. Mari-Lyn Piepho seconded the motion, and it carried.

12. Heather Leiterman was asked to give us an update on the plans for a party for the students at the Ohio State School for the Blind We have come to refer to this event as a Louis Braille birthday party. Heather said She contacted Dawn Hensley. Eric said he thought Dawn was on extended leave. Heather said that even if that was the case, her message should be given to some one else.

13. The meeting adjourned at 11:40 AM.

Respectfully Submitted,

Eric Duffy, Acting Secretary