[Cash-and-caring] Outside and corporate donors

JMassay jmassay1 at cox.net
Mon Nov 19 03:34:23 UTC 2012

Hello all-

Sorry I neglected to mention an inspiration that I had while shopping on two
separate occasions. Once while shopping at a clothing store, the clerk asked
if I would like to donate a dollar to the American Diabetes Association. the
donation was added on to the total at the Point of Sale. Another similar
donation opportunity was at a 7-Eleven Convenience Store. The clerk
similarly asked if I would like to make a  two dollar donation to the
Children's Miracle Network. Again, this was done on the register at the
Point of Sale. We could do something like this if we could gain a sponsoring
corporation. A timely month would be October during Meet the Blind Month.
The potential here is great.

With regard to the national fundraising activity, it seems that October
would lend itself well to that concept too.  WE all , or hopefully, all of
our chapters, are engaged in Meet the Blind month activities already. I
think this would be a fantastic opportunity to raise money and educate the
public while we are at it!  Combining efforts will make a lot of opportunity
for press coverage and added public awareness. We could also provide a lot
of support and planning across the organization.

Lastly, as far as goal setting is concerned. I thought of the annual United
Way campaign. Each local United Way has a fund raising campaign that is
widely advertised and supported throughout the community. There are always
posters with the thermometers indicating how much of the goal has been
achieved, exactly like we used on the Imagination Fund individual and team
WebPages. I think having a goal is a crucial aspect of asking people to
raise money. To me, it is like having a map or a GPS with you on a trip. We
know what direction we would like to go but not the exact directions without
having a goal.

Hope everyone has a great week and a wonderful thanksgiving!

Jeannie