[Cash-and-caring] call-in phone number needed; Description of NFB MD local fundraiser

Rovig, Lorraine LRovig at nfb.org
Wed Dec 4 14:33:36 UTC 2013

Maurice and all, I also need the call-in number for this week's Cash and Caring Meeting on Thursday at 9 p.m.

Our Monument Lighting fundraiser:
By the way, Ramona, Thursday night I will again be working the Greater Baltimore Chapter's booth at the city's annual Monument Lighting from whenever I get there after work until the 8 PM closing. It's a great fundraiser-we always sell out of our wassail (hot spiced cider) and hot coco (both made by Steve Brand, who is in the Business Enterprise program), and a great way to give the public a new view of the competence of blind Americans. We have been there enough years now that people come looking for us.  Our reserved booth, as with all the rest that the city workers erect, has across the front a city art-department sign. Ours says "National Federation of the Blind"

For those of you who don't know Baltimore, this city-owned monument is often used as the symbol of Baltimore. It has George Washington wearing a Roman toga, in his strong right hand he holds out a rolled-up manuscript toward the city and harbor. He is standing on a column that rises about 4 or 5 stores above a one-story square base. There is a mini-museum inside the base. The Washington Monument is on the top of the highest hill above the Inner Harbor and after climbing the many stone steps inside the column, from its four windows one gets a bird's eye view of Baltimore. Many city celebrations are held in the four pocket parks at his feet. Charles Street, a major artery that splits to each side of the monument, gets closed off. The city strings Christmas lights from the pedestal roof to the plinth under the President's feet, and after speeches and choirs, turns on the lights for shining all season, then sets off the fireworks. This is definitely a high profile gig for us, AND a money-maker.

Cordially,

Lorraine Rovig, Assistant to
Chairperson Patti Chang, Esq.
NFB Scholarship Committee
NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND
200 East Wells Street at Jernigan Place
Baltimore, MD 21230
Office:  (410) 659-9314, x2415
E-mail:  scholarships at nfb.org<mailto:scholarships at nfb.org>
Website:  www.nfb.org/scholarships<http://www.nfb.org/scholarships>

P. S.: The application period for 2014 began November 1, 2013, and ends March 31, 2014.

The National Federation of the Blind wishes you a joyous and safe holiday season. We would appreciate your including the NFB in your end-of-year giving. Make your contribution<https://nfb.org/civicrm/contribute/transact?reset=1&id=1> now.