[Cash-and-caring] committee or network and more

rflores at nfbtx.org rflores at nfbtx.org
Thu Jan 17 15:09:46 UTC 2013

Colleagues:
I wouldn't have agreed to participate on this committee if the buck
stopped at Washington Seminar.  My assumption was, that we would
definitely maintain a persistent, consistent presence in funding the
federation.  The Tool Kit will be our annual guide and call to action.  We
can update this each year, highlighting new fundraisers, celebrating the
financial accomplishments of participating affiliates, and recognize the
hard work that it is to raise money.
I believe that the online access is key in being available to those who
are familiar with this type of gathering of information, and any of our
materials should be readily available that way. The Wiki is something the
NFB is very familiar in handling, especially the NFBJI, and as long as the
Cash and Caring Committee has a responsible Wiki executive team, we should
be fine, even for those of us who aren't as Wiki oriented.  Maybe we can
find a regular spot within the Braille Monitor as well to promote our
message across the board.
Lastly, everyone: please do not take this the wrong way, I am simply
trying to pose an issue I've had since the start of our committee, and
define my main hope and plan for our development.  I don't think that
adding tons of new folk just to add folk to our committee will be
productive.  Although, I do think we need to add a few more of the
rank-and-file.  To my understanding a quarter or more of our band is from
the Baltimore area, and on the NFB staff, including myself in some manner.
 If we're truly honest with each other, working for the organization,
being involved with the Baltimore chapter, and the Maryland affiliate is
not your typical NFB type of group or work, due to the headquarter perks
and reinforcements.  This does not mean that the ideas from Baltimore, and
the hard work of our federation staff is not bennificial, but I think it's
important to have more representation from the Ramonas, and the Jeannies,
who deal with the struggle of not always having the type of help and time
of those of us who directly work within and for the organization.  We
really need folks on this committee who are directly involved with, and
successfully hosting moneymaking events in the regular old, broke, and
strictly volunteer oriented membered factions of our movement.  We can
slim down the areas of where we have multiple committee members of an
affiliate, and try to establish a really productive, inovative, network
comprised of some of the federation's-finest fund raisers.
For example, we don't have a Florida representative, and I believe,
correct me if I'm wrong, we're conventioning in Florida for the next
decade... None of our Center states are on our committee.  Our beloved
moneymaking afiliate of Georgia is also not with us yet.  Speakinf for the
faction of this committee that was part of the NFB Fellows, we haven't
fully tapped into those resources yet either.
Thanks,
Richie