[Cash-and-caring] FW: new quiz on blindness: 4 things to tweak

Rovig, Lorraine LRovig at nfb.org
Tue Mar 5 15:51:08 UTC 2013

I took the quiz and noticed these four thing to tweak:

1.       The web address does not work when I leave the www dot in front of the rest of the URL. Once I removed that part, the quiz address worked correctly.

2.       We have some print that is not "seeable" by the sighted. The email address in paragraph one, that introduces the NFB and the quiz,  cannot be read by eyesight on the page except with much difficulty.  It is located here: "Just email them to infoonblindness at gmail.com<mailto:infoonblindness at gmail.com>. Membership. . . ."

3.       Question 2 is funny because it seems to say Helen spoke Braille. Can it be rewritten by adding the word "to" before the word Braille? It says:  Helen Keller taught Ann Sullivan to speak and read Braille

4.       Signing up for "updates" is a bit of a nightmare in that it leads to an advertisement for a Google service that requires more keystrokes.  I took the time to fill in their blanks (hoping this won't change anything on my NFB computer homepage) with lrovig at nfb.org<mailto:lrovig at nfb.org> and a password, and lo and behold it changed me from lrovig at nfb.org<mailto:lrovig at nfb.org> to Lorraine.rovig at gmail.com<mailto:Lorraine.rovig at gmail.com>. Then I was told by the Google, first that my password was wrong ("changed it 10 months ago" - humph). So I tried again. With the second password, I was told that my update request is rejected because I have not signed up for emailed subscriptions. But, guess what, there is no way to change that setting in this Google chunk of work. I give up, as I expect most others will if they get this kind of response to signing up for updates.

So these are the four things I noticed that if we can fix them or tweak them, I recommend that we do.  Everything else looking good. I especially like the placement and size and colorfulness of the donation button.

Lorraine Rovig

X2415

Top of Form

Quiz on Blindness True/False

*
1. Most legally blind people have some limited vision, but not enough to drive or read print well.
Most legally blind people have some limited vision, but not enough to drive or read print well.   True
False

2. Helen Keller taught Ann Sullivan to speak and read Braille
Helen Keller taught Ann Sullivan to speak and read Braille   True
False

3. IDEA stands for Individuals with Disabilities Education Act, important legislation to improve education of disabled children in public schools.
IDEA stands for Individuals with Disabilities Education Act, important legislation to improve education of disabled children in public schools.   True
False

4. The National Federation of the Blind is the largest and strongest organization of the blind in the country which advocates for rights and opportunities for the blind.
The National Federation of the Blind is the largest and strongest organization of the blind in the country which advocates for rights and opportunities for the blind.   True
False

5. Gary Wunder is a famous popular singer.
Gary Wunder is a famous popular singer.   True
False

6. Studies have shown that the average sighted person fears blindness as much as cancer or AIDS.
Studies have shown that the average sighted person fears blindness as much as cancer or AIDS.   True
False

7. Leonhard Euler (1707-1783), often regarded as the greatest mathematician in history, wrote more than half of his mathematical publications after he became blind.
Leonhard Euler (1707-1783), often regarded as the greatest mathematician in history, wrote more than half of his mathematical publications after he became blind.   True
False

8. Most blind people read and write Braille.
Most blind people read and write Braille.   True
False

9. David Paterson was the first blind governor of New York State
David Paterson was the first blind governor of New York State   True
False

10. Blind people listen to the movement of traffic to determine when to cross streets.
Blind people listen to the movement of traffic to determine when to cross streets.   True
False

11. As many as 70 percent of blind adults between the ages of 20 and 65 are unemployed or dramatically under-employed.
As many as 70 percent of blind adults between the ages of 20 and 65 are unemployed or dramatically under-employed.   True
False

12. Today most blind children are educated in residential schools for the blind
Today most blind children are educated in residential schools for the blind   True
False

13. Fanny Crosby was a blind hymn writer during the nineteenth century, and some of her hymns are still sung today.
Fanny Crosby was a blind hymn writer during the nineteenth century, and some of her hymns are still sung today.   True
False

14. Did you learn anything from taking this quiz?
Did you learn anything from taking this quiz?   Yes
No

*
15. Please insert your email address to be entered to win. You will not receive an email notification. You will be notified by email if you are the winner.

Please insert your email address to be entered to win. You will not receive an email notification. You will be notified by email if you are the winner.

Powered by SurveyMonkey<http://www.surveymonkey.com/>
Check out our sample surveys<http://www.surveymonkey.com/mp/survey-templates/> and create your own now!

Bottom of Form