[Cash-and-caring] questions regarding conducting an online raffle

Ramona Walhof walhoframona at gmail.com
Wed Aug 31 14:24:31 UTC 2016

Craig, the suggestion about state laws or requirements is valid.  Some
states have quite a bit of leeway, however.  I have no idea how well you
would do on Facebook. You would have to decide whether to display your items
separately or as a group.  Then you would have to show how the bids are
progressing.  And if all of your members on Facebook are going to recruit
their friends to bid, you have to make that easy.

 I am proposing a raffle on Auction Frogs here in the spring.  That is a
local company here with a lot of experience with nonproffit raffles. They
say you can hardly get too many items, and you want a variety of values..  I
am hoping to show the items for about 3 weeks and end at the time of our
state convention.  We may save a few items  for our banquet, but final bids
will be just before or just after the convention.  Some of our members who
want to bid are not online, but of course, we want lots of bidders who are
not members, so we will try to make a balance.   A lot depends on how many
ITEMSand how many friends you have on facebook.  Of course, you have to make
arrangements for payment and shipping, too.

The state that did a daily drawing on youtube has some knowledge, but they
gave away cash.  And they had to sell tickets ahead of time, so you are
proposing something different.

You remember that the national office did an auction for a couple of years.
It raised about ten thousand dollars, I think, but was quite a bit of work,
as well. I don't know who designed the online software. The first time for
something like that is always expensive.

If you do it, let us know how it goes!  Thank you.
Ramona