[Cash-and-caring] IABS IDOL

Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter bkpollpeter at gmail.com
Wed Dec 21 20:31:17 UTC 2016

Mike,

While I am probably lumped into the "young crowd" at only 35, grin, I
completely agree with your assessment.

My own observation is the younger people don't see the need to continue the
fight. Many feel entitled and reap the benefits of those who came before us,
so they don't fully understand the need to push further for equality and
fair treatment. I hear so many young people say that they get to go to
school and seek employment and have social lives, so they find nothing about
any organization attractive, and they don't understand why we push back so
much on certain issues. I can't tell you how many young people are the
demographic confused and not understanding why we do things like start our
own campaign against The Foundation Fighting Blindness's campaign that was
potentially so detrimental to blind people. Or why we pursue legal action
against entities refusing to work with and accommodate blind people. Or why
we encourage the use of nonvisual skills. It goes on and on. I hear this
more from younger people than older folks.

Our student division used to be active and thriving. Every year at state
convention, we had several students show up and participate in NABS
activities. Now, we were worried we would not have enough people to fill our
NABS board this year, and as of now, they have no active participation from
anyone outside the board in terms of other students. More non-students show
up to student meetings at our convention than actual students. Our chapters
see fewer and fewer students and young people joining and participating. In
my chapter, anyone younger than 30 just sits there, barely contributing to
discussions let alone events and activities.

The caveat is that our older generation wants to slow down, to some degree,
and let us younger members take the lead. But when so few of us understand
that we still have so much work to do, and that we need to take initiative
and step up to the plate, it creates a problem. It's becoming epidemic, and
I'm not sure what the solution is.

But I agree that the alternative is far worse. Those of us who get it, who
understand the march is not over, we need to keep marching, carrying the
banner. We may be limited, but we still need to make our voices heard.
Hopefully as the younger group matures, they will realize how important a
group like the Federation is and will finally stand and take their place in
line.

Bridgit