[Cash-and-caring] IABS IDOL

Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter bkpollpeter at gmail.com
Thu Dec 22 00:55:50 UTC 2016

My endeavors to get our younger people involved with social media have been unsuccessful. I've asked and appointed younger people to handle and assist with handling our social media, and I'm still the only one doing it. And very little activity happens on our social media pages, despite my frequent post and updates, which happen at least once a week, usually more than once though.

I've personally asked members to take charge of an event, insisting they had the qualities and ability to be in charge and/or handle an event. Usually, the work is not done, or is not done thoroughly. One member quit because despite our frequent interjections that he was more than capable of being in leadership, he disagreed, and now he says he only wants to participate in organizations that do social things; he wants nothing to do with outreach and advocacy; his words, not mine. This is an extreme example, but does demonstrate the obstacle I've come up against in both my chapter and affiliate, particularly with younger members. Even when point-blank asked to do something, more often than not, they hem-and-haw and either begrudgingly take on a task or out-right say no.

These are people we are including, investing in, giving specific responsibilities to, and they still are not motivated or encouraged to step up.

So what does one do when one employs these methods and suggestions, maintaining communication, providing specific opportunities, making appointments, and no one bites?

Bridgit