[Cash-and-caring] The Holman Prize ... for Blind Ambition

Richie Flores flores.richie at gmail.com
Thu Jan 19 23:34:10 UTC 2017

Greetings my fellows in blind ambission:
Today we are going public with a new initiative that may come to
define he LightHouse’s contribution to the global landscape: The
Holman Prize for Blind Ambition. We are proud to be able to share with
the world that, in 2017, we will award multiple prizes each of up to
$25,000, specifically for legally blind individuals who have big
dreams, and better yet, big plans.

A few minutes ago we sent the following announcement to a global list
of more than 30,000 blind individuals. Over the next six weeks, we
will be hearing from a lot of blind folks who we never knew existed.
Below, you can read all the details. Feel free to forward this
emailing along to friends, family and most of all, blind people with
real ambition.

I want to give a huge thank you to Bryan Bashin, Dagny Brown, Jennifer
Sachs, and the newest member of our Holman Team, Max Levenson. These
are the people making the Holman Prize happen. Also a mega shout-out
to my hatchling Communications Team at LightHouse, who have done so
much in the past few weeks to get THP branded and promoted for the
world to see. Without further ado:

What would you do with $25,000? If you’re one of the millions
worldwide who qualify as blind, it’s time to start imagining.

San Francisco's LightHouse for the Blind and Visually
Impaired<http://lighthouse-sf.us8.list-manage.com/track/click?u=f40e17a83bbae60b5969a0798&id=daf3caf874&e=9c75d46ccf>
is proud to announce The Holman Prize for Blind Ambition – an annual
set of awards that finance and support blind adventurers worldwide in
pursuing their most ambitious projects.
Submissions are now open at
HolmanPrize.org<http://lighthouse-sf.us8.list-manage.com/track/click?u=f40e17a83bbae60b5969a0798&id=aa2310bc2b&e=9c75d46ccf>.
We're asking applicants to complete a simple task: create a 90-second
YouTube video pitching an idea for a project. In the spirit of James
Holman<http://lighthouse-sf.us8.list-manage.com/track/click?u=f40e17a83bbae60b5969a0798&id=1b1b5afe4d&e=9c75d46ccf>
– who became the first blind person to circumnavigate the globe in
1832 – we encourage our applicants to think across conventional
borders and boundary lines.
Here are the rules for Phase 1:

1. Tell us about who you are, your journey with blindness and what you
would do with a $25k prize. You don't need to have it all figured out
yet, we just want to see that you're passionate and ambitious. Where
would you travel? What would you work on? How long might it take?
2. Tag the YouTube video #HolmanPrize and be sure to submit the link
through our official form at
HolmanPrize.org<http://lighthouse-sf.us8.list-manage2.com/track/click?u=f40e17a83bbae60b5969a0798&id=c2fcbda998&e=9c75d46ccf>.
3. Videos exceeding 90 seconds will be disqualified. If you have
questions, visit our FAQ
page<http://lighthouse-sf.us8.list-manage.com/track/click?u=f40e17a83bbae60b5969a0798&id=3029e27cc4&e=9c75d46ccf>.

Due to the global nature of the prize, the LightHouse will vet
applications using a definition of blindness based on ophthalmological
consultation and international standards for legal blindness.
Finalists will go through an in-depth application process that will
require proof of blindness.

Here are a few tips for working on your video:
- Practice your pitch before recording. Make sure it's smooth and confident.
- Show off your personality. Convince us that you're the perfect
ambassador for blind people worldwide.
- VoiceOver and screen reader users: Please plug in headphones or turn
speech volume off while recording.
- Try to record videos in landscape view (sideways) rather than portrait view.
- Face toward windows and light sources instead of away from them
(show your face!).

Submissions will close on February 28 at 12 noon PST. Semifinalists
will be notified in March 2017.

We'd like you to start the conversation by visiting the website,
following us on social media and using the hashtag #HolmanPrize. Start
brainstorming, tell your friends and begin to imagine the adventure
you might go on. Check out all the Holman prize pitches on YouTube and
be sure to hit "like." The video with the most likes will
automatically become one of our finalists.

This is your chance to go
farther than the eye can see.

Links:
The Holman Prize:
Instagram<http://lighthouse-sf.us8.list-manage.com/track/click?u=f40e17a83bbae60b5969a0798&id=8739310f4e&e=9c75d46ccf>
+ Twitter<http://lighthouse-sf.us8.list-manage.com/track/click?u=f40e17a83bbae60b5969a0798&id=c57cdd22de&e=9c75d46ccf>
LightHouse for the Blind:
Instagram<http://lighthouse-sf.us8.list-manage.com/track/click?u=f40e17a83bbae60b5969a0798&id=018433f7c3&e=9c75d46ccf>
+ Twitter<http://lighthouse-sf.us8.list-manage.com/track/click?u=f40e17a83bbae60b5969a0798&id=c5c6a7aeb9&e=9c75d46ccf>
+ Facebook<http://lighthouse-sf.us8.list-manage.com/track/click?u=f40e17a83bbae60b5969a0798&id=ce4e2b8146&e=9c75d46ccf>

Best wishes,
The Holman Team

Will Butler
Director of Communications
(415) 694-7309
LightHouse for the Blind and Visually Impaired
1155 Market Street, 10th Floor, San Francisco, CA 94103
Make a difference in the lives of blind people everywhere. Donate now
to support the learning, community and confidence-building of the
LightHouse.<http://lighthouse-sf.org/donate/form>

--
Richie Flores
Vocational Enrichment Consultant