[Cash-and-caring] Question about fundraising when your division doesn't have a 501(C3) tax letter?

Everett Gavel everett at everettgavel.com
Thu Mar 9 14:22:26 UTC 2017

Hi Bridgit, and All

My memory is about as good as my eyesight these days, so please forgive me if I’m wrong here. But it seems to me that back around the turn of the millennium, give or take a couple of years, Peggy Elliott was giving a nationwide push, encouraging chapters to get their own nonprofit numbers, i.e., 501(c)(3)s -- and to try to stop using the affiliates. I’m sure someone here can clarify. But the chapter I was with in Ohio back then, we got our own at that point.

Strive On!
Everett

From: Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter <bkpollpeter at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Cash-and-caring] Question about fundraising when your division doesn't have a 501(C3) tax letter?

Does this mean my chapter should apply for our own 501 C3 nonprofit status? Our affiliate went through this a few years back, and chapter’s and state division’s were told we could just use the affiliate’s status.
Bridgit